Is my saltwater toxic?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I’m here, going to trade these guys in for some corral!

Sounds good. Just research purchases.. even coral ones so you know how difficult it is and lighting it likes/flow and so on. There are many wonderful small fish that will fit your tank instead of the ones you have.

OP
OP
A

Abcde123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It look like it was a red linckia
Okay then that’s why they require super large established tanks typically older than a year and are hard to keep due to sensitivity and diet.

Last edited:

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you reef in Europe
or Australia or NZ or anywhere that uses the metric system (which is the most used system in the world) and haven't remained in the dark ages like the US ;) 20long is 20Gallon long which makes zero sense to me a volume is not a length. but 20L is litres to many people even people who live where they use gallons read this the same way. I feel like this gallon long term should just be chucked out because it makes so little sense and it makes my brain hurt

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or Australia or NZ or anywhere that uses the metric system (which is the most used system in the world) and haven't remained in the dark ages like the US ;) 20long is 20Gallon long which makes zero sense to me a volume is not a length. but 20L is litres to many people even people who live where they use gallons read this the same way. I feel like this gallon long term should just be chucked out because it makes so little sense and it makes my brain hurt
Lol, well just to clarify ( just in case) there are long tanks and tall tanks that hold the same water volume

F9527EC7-BE90-4471-9268-8A236CC0BC1D.jpeg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean 4’ Long?
I am describing a 4 foot long tank for swimming room. Some 4’ tanks are 65 gallons and some are 100 gallons.
But some 100 gallons are shorter also.
I personally feel like having a longer tank is better when talking about fish who in the wild may swim miles vs another type of fish that may stay in a relatively local area.

OP
OP
A

Abcde123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am describing a 4 foot long tank for swimming room. Some 4’ tanks are 65 gallons and some are 100 gallons.
But some 100 gallons are shorter also.
I personally feel like having a longer tank is better when talking about fish who in the wild may swim miles vs another type of fish that may stay in a relatively local area.
Got it. Mine right now is 30 inches (almost 3’) so yes I bit on the small end I assume

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Mine right now is 30 inches (almost 3’) so yes I bit on the small end I assume
And keep in mind, tangs are not all created equal. A tomini tang may get a maximum of 6” long and may be perfect in a 100 gallon tank, While a blue hippo tang may get 12” long and be perfect in a 200 gallon tank.

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, well just to clarify ( just in case) there are long tanks and tall tanks that hold the same water volume

F9527EC7-BE90-4471-9268-8A236CC0BC1D.jpeg
makes a little more sense but still seems wild to label them in such a way rather than purely by dimension or volume as you find here. though the dimensions of aquariums here is usually going to be in feet or inches which is weird because that's also imperial.
this being said its still not listed as 20L I am familiar with gallons long just find it strange and 20L is more likely to be read as litres not long.
not sure why not inches long over gallons long though. though for this and I should say 30" long.
idk the term just doesn't sound right.
but at the end if the day my point was 20L, to more people, sounds like 20Litres hence the confusion

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes a little more sense but still seems wild to label them in such a way rather than purely by dimension or volume as you find here. though the dimensions of aquariums here is usually going to be in feet or inches which is weird because that's also imperial.
this being said its still not listed as 20L I am familiar with gallons long just find it strange and 20L is more likely to be read as litres not long.
not sure why not inches long over gallons long though. though for this and I should say 30" long.
idk the term just doesn't sound right.
but at the end if the day my point was 20L, to more people, sounds like 20Litres hence the confusion
I agree. I thought liters also at first

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to the saltwater hobby, I’ve had a 20Gallon Long saltwater aquarium for around 11 weeks now. In the aquarium, I have 3 clownfish, a blue hippo tang, a damsel, two shrimp, a few corrals and several snails. I had a starfish and two gobys (did not have the gobys at the same time) in the past but they all died. I noticed that the star fish began resting at the top of the tank for around 1-2 weeks and began losing his arms little by little. My first goby died relatively quickly and my second goby died after maybe a month. I am starting to wonder if the bottom portion of the water in my tank is toxic, is that possible? All my fish seem to be healthy. I use a canister filter, have a wavemaker, and try and do regular weekly water changes (sometimes i don’t do it for two weeks). I just tested my water and everything was fine except my nitrite was a bit high (0.8) and my PH was a bit low (7.8). I just began dosing my tank with the recommended PH booster as well as another bacteria bottle to lower my nitrite but is that what could have caused it? I find it strange that most of the species that live on the ground level are dying or struggling (I even found my cleaner shrimp moving more towards the top for this past week). Has this happened to anyone before? Or does anyone have any advice? Thank you!!

623D93AE-B51E-4D53-B116-97601A448D72.jpeg
Too much stock for a 20 gallon tank in my opinion. How's your filtration? With that many fish I would run a protein skimmer.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And keep in mind, tangs are not all created equal. A tomini tang may get a maximum of 6” long and may be perfect in a 100 gallon tank, While a blue hippo tang may get 12” long and be perfect in a 200 gallon tank.
Very true!

I have a naso tang in my 260 gallon. It is currently happy and is considered ethical, but in the long term future (many, many years) it will outgrow my tank. The 260 gallon size is fine, but it’s only 23” wide which will not sustain a fully grown naso since it needs to comfortably turn. I do plan to upgrade my tank to a proper size when that time comes (in many, many years from now).

So, every tang has different requirements. In a 20 gallon, there is no tang that can live there (unless it’s a temporary QT).

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am new to the saltwater hobby, I’ve had a 20Gallon Long saltwater aquarium for around 11 weeks now. In the aquarium, I have 3 clownfish, a blue hippo tang, a damsel, two shrimp, a few corrals and several snails. I had a starfish and two gobys (did not have the gobys at the same time) in the past but they all died. I noticed that the star fish began resting at the top of the tank for around 1-2 weeks and began losing his arms little by little. My first goby died relatively quickly and my second goby died after maybe a month. I am starting to wonder if the bottom portion of the water in my tank is toxic, is that possible? All my fish seem to be healthy. I use a canister filter, have a wavemaker, and try and do regular weekly water changes (sometimes i don’t do it for two weeks). I just tested my water and everything was fine except my nitrite was a bit high (0.8) and my PH was a bit low (7.8). I just began dosing my tank with the recommended PH booster as well as another bacteria bottle to lower my nitrite but is that what could have caused it? I find it strange that most of the species that live on the ground level are dying or struggling (I even found my cleaner shrimp moving more towards the top for this past week). Has this happened to anyone before? Or does anyone have any advice? Thank you!!

623D93AE-B51E-4D53-B116-97601A448D72.jpeg
You sure that's 20g?

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should I get the clean the tank up? Just snails? And I am not 100% sure the exact type, one may have been a diamond goby. Both sandshifting
There are alot of different saltwater inverts. Personally for a 20g I'd stock it with an emerald crab, blood fire shrimp, 3 cerith, 3 trochus. I might would throw in something to stir the sand bed but that's about what I'd stick in there. For fish I'd only do the 2 clowns and maybe a goby. If you wanted too, instead of blood fire shrimp you could try a goby pistol shrimp pair. So you'd have a clown pair and a goby pistol pair. That's my 2 cents from my experience with these animals.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back