Is my skimmer too big?

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time setting up a sump. My previous tank had a small "sump" area in the back. I have a 64G DT and a Trigger systems Emerald Cube. I currently have just a clownfish, a cleaner shrimp and about 12 snails in the DT.

Since it's been about a month since water hit the tank, I thought I would start my protein skimmer. It's a Skimz SK184. Turned it on and the cup filled immediately. I tried adjusting the air intake, but it still ran amuck. At this point, I assume one of three issues or a combo of the following issues...

1. The skimmer is sitting in too much water. In which case, how much water should the skimmer be in? The Skimz 'manual' said nothing to this affect.
2. The skimmer is running too lean because the fish has only been in the DT for 5 days and there is just not enough for the skimmer to pull out of the DT.
3. The dang thing is too big for my needs.

Help, please and thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be too far down in water(lift it a little and if it doesn’t do it, then you know)
Other would be the air control turned up too high

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New skimmers need major break in periods before they begin to work well, plus the initial startup has a lot of catching up to do pulling out waste. Usually when I break my skimmers in I always get them elevated in the water a bit until they stop overflowing then slowly lower them week by week until they can just sit in the sump with nothing under them.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back