Is my Tailspot Blenny in Danger? - photo

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Tailspot blenny has been staying in the front corner of my frag tank.
But only inches away from a healthy Condy Anemone. This is making me a little nervous.
Is a blenny smart enough to not get caught by an anemone?

ALSO this guy has stripes, does that mean he is a young blenny is just a different variety than I have seen in photos?

THoughts?

tailspot.jpg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi same thing happened to me years ago when i was still new to the hobby. I didnt really think drip acclimating was necessary at the time and i was keeping my salinity at 1.025 when the store was at 1.021. i think i just shoveled a cup of my water into the bag he was in every 10 minutes i believe. He didnt end up making it .That coloration and pattern is associated with stress. There may be a chance he bounces back but i think the chances of that are slim . I'm sorry, i love tailspots too and it's hard losing them.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi same thing happened to me years ago when i was still new to the hobby. I didnt really think drip acclimating was necessary at the time and i was keeping my salinity at 1.025 when the store was at 1.021. i think i just shoveled a cup of my water into the bag he was in every 10 minutes i believe. He didnt end up making it .That coloration and pattern is associated with stress. There may be a chance he bounces back but i think the chances of that are slim . I'm sorry, i love tailspots too and it's hard losing them.
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Blennies, specifically the Escenius genus mostly get these when there is stress or they sleep. It's not an indication of whether or not they'll die....just how the camo look on a foxface is not an indication they'll die. It's simply that the fish is stressed. Nothing more. I'm sorry you didn't properly acclimate one, and I'm sure you saw the striped pattern in the picture shortly before death, but it was probably because the fish was stressed due to poor acclimation.

As for my own experience, I don't believe they're dumb enough to sit inside of an anemone long enough to get devoured. I have a bicolor currently, and he gets stressed sometimes (like if I move too quickly near the tank he will find a cave to sit in for a while). But again, I want to stress that it's not because he's dying.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dying fish tends to be stressed does it not? Other instances of properly acclimating tailspots has never resulted in this pattern meaning their stress threshold wasnt met to make that pattern. But look at the symptoms; stressed pattern and a huge lack of activity. These are all symptoms of a dying fish
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Blennies, specifically the Escenius genus mostly get these when there is stress or they sleep. It's not an indication of whether or not they'll die....just how the camo look on a foxface is not an indication they'll die. It's simply that the fish is stressed. Nothing more. I'm sorry you didn't properly acclimate one, and I'm sure you saw the striped pattern in the picture shortly before death, but it was probably because the fish was stressed due to poor acclimation.

As for my own experience, I don't believe they're dumb enough to sit inside of an anemone long enough to get devoured. I have a bicolor currently, and he gets stressed sometimes (like if I move too quickly near the tank he will find a cave to sit in for a while). But again, I want to stress that it's not because he's dying.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dying fish tends to be stressed does it not? Other instances of properly acclimating tailspots has never resulted in this pattern meaning their stress threshold wasnt met to make that pattern. But look at the symptoms; stressed pattern and a huge lack of activity. These are all symptoms of a dying fish
Just because a fish is stressed does not mean they are dying. This pattern is a form of natural camoflauge.

I have had this pattern with matching salinity in my QT tank on both a bicolor and tailspot. Both of them rarely get stressed, but when they do, this pattern emerges. Like I said, it dies not mean they're dying.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the blennies ive kept and seen over the years ive personally only have seen it when they are stressed from being bullied by another fish or when they are not properly acclimated, and not properly acclimating a fish a lot of the time leads to death .He said it was a new fish so im guessing he just put it in
Just because a fish is stressed does not mean they are dying. This pattern is a form of natural camoflauge.

I have had this pattern with matching salinity in my QT tank on both a bicolor and tailspot. Both of them rarely get stressed, but when they do, this pattern emerges. Like I said, it dies not mean they're dying.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the blennies ive kept and seen over the years ive personally only have seen it when they are stressed from being bullied by another fish or when they are not properly acclimated, and not properly acclimating a fish a lot of the time leads to death .He said it was a new fish so im guessing he just put it in
These fish are pretty skittish to begin with, so if you add improper acclimation then I can see your point. However, if you have acclimated properly, and the fish is new to its surroundings it's normal for this pattern to occur. I wouldn't necessarily assume the stress is related to being bullied or improperly acclimated as OP hasn't informed us of either.

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did the add water ever 10-20 minutes over 2 hours. But come to think of it, he had these stripes at the fish store.
I didn't know better to NOT purchase him. They claim their salinity was 1.024, but when I tested their water at home with my
refractometer it was closer to 1.030 and my tank is 1.025.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a chain it probably wasnt in good conditions and ive seen tailspot blennies in pretty bad tanks at other stores either as a result of stocking, water quality, or if they even acclimated a fish (places like petco dont acclimate, but that would really only apply if it arrived today or something). It could probably be a result of that since it seems you were on top of acclimating.
Yes, I did the add water ever 10-20 minutes over 2 hours. But come to think of it, he had these stripes at the fish store.
I didn't know better to NOT purchase him. They claim their salinity was 1.024, but when I tested their water at home with my
refractometer it was closer to 1.030 and my tank is 1.025.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just guessed improper acclimation because he said it was a new fish and not much else. But he just cleared it up a bit .
These fish are pretty skittish to begin with, so if you add improper acclimation then I can see your point. However, if you have acclimated properly, and the fish is new to its surroundings it's normal for this pattern to occur. I wouldn't necessarily assume the stress is related to being bullied or improperly acclimated as OP hasn't informed us of either.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like some others have said, it will get that striped pattern at night as well. My tailspot always has his head poked out of his den when lights go out and he will have that striped pattern.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is that unless his lights were off for a bit and he just turned them on to show us i doubt it was asleep .unless he turns off his light when he adds new fish

Like some others have said, it will get that striped pattern at night as well. My tailspot always has his head poked out of his den when lights go out and he will have that striped pattern.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "striping" is normal for a new fish. Being caught and transported and added to a new system is stressful. Ecsenius blennies are relatively hardy.

It is also much easier for a fish to adjust to a lower salinity than a higher salinity.

Most fish instinctively know to avoid the stings of an anemone.

I would not be worried about this guy at this time.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above. These blennies are near the bottom of the food chain out on the reef so can take a while to settle in and feel safe. At the moment it's trying to disguise itself while it adjusts.
They tend to take a couple of weeks to really feel at home and become bolder. If there aren't any nice hideouts it will probably stay where it is.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Striping has already been mentioned and is common don't worry. As for the Condy I wouldn't worry about it getting the fish or the fish getting caught in it, a weak and dying fish maybe but not a healthy one. I've had my cleaner shrimp get caught in the tentacles of my Condy and still be able to break free when stealing food from it.

unfortunately I don't have this guy around anymore, but be wary of it around PH's when they are shut off. This guy would go into it when they shut off at feeding time, I always had to remember to check before turning them on.
8p8zbAlm.jpg

Here's my Condy when he made his home in a Tiki head ornament.
BqJ9jGpm.jpg

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on the tailspot?

Yes, still alive, added to the tank Friday night, now Wed night.
I have not seen him eat anything, BUT He is lunging for food: Mysis and Formula One, buy I haven't seen him eat any.
Even turning off the pumps and trying direct feeding. He only leaves about an inch from his hole.
Photos from tonight: With Flash and then without flash.
tailspot-2.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back