Is my tank idea possible?

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater I know bigger is better Especially for beginners and I'm well aware of the fact that this is probably not going to work but I'd like to grow Green Star Polyps as well as some macroalgae in a normal 2.5 gallon tank (12 x 6 x 8) is this possible with the right care and attention.
20240229_202653.jpg
20240229_202700.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
absolutely. the most important factor would be stability. smaller tanks will have more water fluctuations. temp and parameters like ALK/CAL/MAG and salinity could change more often than in a larger volume tank. after that, everything else is rather easy :)

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily do that.

Sexy shrimp would be a good fit I would think, if you want some animal life. I used to have them in a simple reef jar in my kitchen. Attractive, stay small, very hardy IME.

For a softy tank that size, you can probably maintain all of your water parameters with water changes only (plus daily evaporation topoff).

OP
OP
Jhbard

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily do that.

Sexy shrimp would be a good fit I would think, if you want some animal life. I used to have them in a simple reef jar in my kitchen. Attractive, stay small, very hardy IME.

For a softy tank that size, you can probably maintain all of your water parameters with water changes only (plus daily evaporation topoff).
Sexy shrimp? I was under the impression that my tank size couldn't handle Anything more than copepods

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As mentioned, your idea is definitely possible (it would be considered a pico tank) - the macroalgae would be a cool, less common touch for a tank that size.

As was also mentioned, you wouldn't want to put any fish in that small of a tank, but there are some small inverts that could work if you want to keep a few.

OP
OP
Jhbard

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As mentioned, your idea is definitely possible (it would be considered a pico tank) - the macroalgae would be a cool, less common touch for a tank that size.

As was also mentioned, you wouldn't want to put any fish in that small of a tank, but there are some small inverts that could work if you want to keep a few.
If that's the case then I guess I'll have to look into this thank you if possible I'd Absolutely love to have some
sexy shrimp if not definitely
a future project

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back