Is my torch pooping or something else?

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just saw a long black string coming out of my torch coral while all the tentacles were retracted. My hands were full so I couldn’t immediately go look at it but when I came back to look the black string was gone and I noticed the torch’s mouth was open and some black stuff coming out of it. Was it pooping or was that a sweeper tentacle I saw?I know of the torch’s mouth is open that’s usually not a good sign unless eating or pooping

D3FB6542-1A11-4DFC-9BFB-84A30EE7E14A.jpeg

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's sign of stress and your coral is expelling some zooxanthellen.
I would check the water parameters and/or lights and flow.

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's sign of stress and your coral is expelling some zooxanthellen.
I would check the water parameters and/or lights and flow.
Ok thank you. What do you think that is coming out of the mouth?

Attachments

• 31AEC196-C3A8-47E4-A97D-2212E9C2FE8F.jpeg
    31AEC196-C3A8-47E4-A97D-2212E9C2FE8F.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 111

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but if you don’t have your flow head or pumps off then your torch me should get moved to better flow. In my experience that stuff that comes out is poo. The only time my torche is flopped down like that is when I spot feed and turn everything off.

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert and personally don't have torches (yet) and maybe it is just a poop. But if I were you, I would test any water parameter I can (have a test for) just for the piece of mind.

And I will closely monitor this coral and see if it acts abnormal (not extending properly, beginning to bleach, "pooping" often, etc.).

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert and personally don't have torches (yet) and maybe it is just a poop. But if I were you, I would test any water parameter I can (have a test for) just for the piece of mind.

And I will closely monitor this coral and see if it acts abnormal (not extending properly, beginning to bleach, "pooping" often, etc.).
^ this 100%. Have you changed lighting by any chance? I am acclimating my torches to higher light, and in doing so, it expels a little zooxanthellae each time to regulate its population. Still doing really well!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back