Pectinia baby or something else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter exnisstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,727
Reaction score
33,715
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this piece coming up on 7 years. It's had ups and downs and has grown a bit. I was looking at it tonight and saw this little growth with tentacles and a mouth. I think it's a baby but I don't remember seeing this before. Maybe a parasite?

PXL_20260805_225319851.jpg


PXL_20260805_225524758.MP~2.jpg
 
What a gorgeous colony.

The bud looks like it might have a skeletal structure. I would take the wait and watch path.
Physically it doesn't look like a parasite.
 
I don't know how closely the polyp resembles the Pectinia polyps, but I've had a couple corals reproduce through budding that looked sort of like that. Here's a Favia of the Gods budding just before it detached.
Favia detached polyp.jpg
 
I think it's the oral disc/polyp extending out of its "socket" (possibly something bad), or it's possibly eating an anemone
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new