Is this black ich or something else?

christinna77

Tilefish Mom
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2025
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
1,461
Location
Vancouver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking through pictures and footage of different tilefish, and with this particular species, Malacanthus plumieri, I often notice dark spots on them. I just saw a Facebook post identifying the spots as black ich, but they seem a bit larger than what I'd expect. Could these just be stress marks or is it actually some kind of parasite or disease that this species commonly gets?

1789595053607.png


Some other ones with the same markings:

1789595067298.png


1789595076297.png

1789595196495.png



1789595196742.png
 
I've been looking through pictures and footage of different tilefish, and with this particular species, Malacanthus plumieri, I often notice dark spots on them. I just saw a Facebook post identifying the spots as black ich, but they seem a bit larger than what I'd expect. Could these just be stress marks or is it actually some kind of parasite or disease that this species commonly gets?

1789595053607.png


Some other ones with the same markings:

1789595067298.png


1789595076297.png

1789595196495.png



1789595196742.png
Looks to be Black spot disease know as Diplopstomiasis often caused from trematode flatworms that cause black cysts in the skin often raised and treatable using praziPro at 80% of recommended dosage
 
I've been looking through pictures and footage of different tilefish, and with this particular species, Malacanthus plumieri, I often notice dark spots on them. I just saw a Facebook post identifying the spots as black ich, but they seem a bit larger than what I'd expect. Could these just be stress marks or is it actually some kind of parasite or disease that this species commonly gets?

1789595053607.png


Some other ones with the same markings:

1789595067298.png


1789595076297.png

1789595196495.png



1789595196742.png
Looks to be Black spot disease know as Diplopstomiasis often caused from trematode flatworms that cause black cysts in the skin often raised and treatable using praziPro at 80% of recommended dosage
I don't think I have enough Prazi to dose the ocean, but thank you! 😆 Interesting to see they're quite susceptible to it in the wild.
 
I don't think I have enough Prazi to dose the ocean, but thank you! 😆 Interesting to see they're quite susceptible to it in the wild.
I can help you with that quantity. . LOL
 
I've been looking through pictures and footage of different tilefish, and with this particular species, Malacanthus plumieri, I often notice dark spots on them. I just saw a Facebook post identifying the spots as black ich, but they seem a bit larger than what I'd expect. Could these just be stress marks or is it actually some kind of parasite or disease that this species commonly gets?

1789595053607.png


Some other ones with the same markings:

1789595067298.png


1789595076297.png

1789595196495.png



1789595196742.png

I've been looking through pictures and footage of different tilefish, and with this particular species, Malacanthus plumieri, I often notice dark spots on them. I just saw a Facebook post identifying the spots as black ich, but they seem a bit larger than what I'd expect. Could these just be stress marks or is it actually some kind of parasite or disease that this species commonly gets?

1789595053607.png


Some other ones with the same markings:

1789595067298.png


1789595076297.png

1789595196495.png



1789595196742.png

That’s Scaphanocephalus expansus, a worm parasite seen in some fish in the Caribbean. I’ve not seen it in tilefish before, but that isn’t surprising, it seems to be spreading and expanding its population. It uses three hosts in its life cycle - snail, fish and bird (osprey) so it won’t reproduce in captivity if fish happen to come in with it. Most digeneans are deeply attached and prazi doesn’t work on them.
 
That’s Scaphanocephalus expansus, a worm parasite seen in some fish in the Caribbean. I’ve not seen it in tilefish before, but that isn’t surprising, it seems to be spreading and expanding its population. It uses three hosts in its life cycle - snail, fish and bird (osprey) so it won’t reproduce in captivity if fish happen to come in with it. Most digeneans are deeply attached and prazi doesn’t work on them.
Very interesting. Thanks, Jay, as always!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new