Is my Xenia bleaching? Too much light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mell0w
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
6
Location
Henderson
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved my Xenia colony to a higher point in my tank and it's directly under a Phlizon black box that's sitting 2 inches from the water surface or so. I run it on 100% blue and like 10% whites.

It's about 14 inches from the black box.

I noticed this morning under natural light and no tank lights that the polyps look a much lighter shade than the stalks. I also noticed this same thing on my smaller xenia colony toward the bottom that's getting much less light.

When lights are on they both look bushy and happy and pulse like it's no one's business.

Is this a normal color or should I be concerned for them? It's hard for me to tell if they were always like this or not because of the blue/purple spectrum of the light.

20200830_093134.jpg 20200830_093125.jpg
 
Blackboxes need to be hung between 18-24 (I think 14 minimum but I forget the exact) inches off the water if you want to avoid baking hotspots. Otherwise you can get par of 1000 in the center at the height you are mounting. If you can't mount it higher, turn town the lights a lot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new