Is my Xenia dying ??

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia looks a bit shrunken up and I noticed it’s dropped a branch and it’s floating around the tank. Is it dying or just spreading??

96D04BB2-5CB0-4169-8C15-B6F6C3EEE8AF.jpeg 56FD67D1-8D18-4AE1-A6EF-D7DA0C989EF9.jpeg

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that at zero nutrients and came back. I wouldn’t worry about losing Xenia

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that at zero nutrients and came back. I wouldn’t worry about losing Xenia
How long do they take to bounce back cause I'm really worried about mine too

Attachments

• 20210513_194017.jpg
    20210513_194017.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they take to bounce back cause I'm really worried about mine too
They can take a few weeks. I had a frag in my almost four month old tank that wasn’t acclimating very well and wasn’t liking the flow in my tank (too high). So I put in a little cup with some sand and left it there for a couple weeks, and now its doing much better and growing quickly (and now it doesn’t mind the flow). IMO, some soft corals can take a little longer to acclimate, but once they do, they’re almost bulletproof. Are the GSP in your photo also not opening? How long have you had them? How old is your tank? And what are your params? IME, GSP won’t open after being moved unless it’s mat is nice and clean, so try blowing it off with a turkey blaster (weirdly once they open, they don’t seem to mind being a little dirty). And then so long as your params aren’t crazy it should slowly open up over a week or so (more and more each day).

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can take a few weeks. I had a frag in my almost four month old tank that wasn’t acclimating very well and wasn’t liking the flow in my tank (too high). So I put in a little cup with some sand and left it there for a couple weeks, and now its doing much better and growing quickly (and now it doesn’t mind the flow). IMO, some soft corals can take a little longer to acclimate, but once they do, they’re almost bulletproof. Are the GSP in your photo also not opening? How long have you had them? How old is your tank? And what are your params? IME, GSP won’t open after being moved unless it’s mat is nice and clean, so try blowing it off with a turkey blaster (weirdly once they open, they don’t seem to mind being a little dirty). And then so long as your params aren’t crazy it should slowly open up over a week or so (more and more each day).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-214942_Aquarium Note.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-214942_Aquarium Note.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 37

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It fell off the rock it was on and it's been in there since May 7th my gsp are slowly opening up again seeing some more green tips and my tank salinity is 1.026 temp 26.5 ph between 8.0 and 8.5 Nitrites 0 nitrates 0 ammonia 0 alkalinity is 120 I'm so new to this so not really sure about the alkalinity

Attachments

• 20210507_210210.jpg
    20210507_210210.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 25

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alkalinity is 120ppm, that means your dkh is 6.709, which is kind of low (but not crazy low). Ideally you want it between 8 and 11 (143 and 196.7), but anywhere between 7 and 12 (125.2 and 214.6ppm) is okay. Basically one unit of dkh equals 17.9ppm. Its a little bit concerning that your nitrates are zero (given that your tank is fairly new, I’m guessing the test isn’t accurate, you shouldn’t be seeing zero nitrates in a newly cycled tank). What kind of testing kit are you using?

Is your Xenia just floating around not attached to anything? If so, put it in a little cup (preferably clear) with some rock rubble or sand (but ideally you want some larger pieces of suvlbstrate) and cover it with some tulle (like wedding veil material) and let it sit in there (in the tank, obviously) until it attaches to some of the substrate and starts looking a better.

Your gsp is looking okay, despite not being open, it’s still a healthy color. If it’s opening more and more like you said, it should be fully open within a week or so (IME, once they’re comfortable they slowly open more and more each day over the course of a week or so until they’re fully open).

Anyway, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alkalinity is 120ppm, that means your dkh is 6.709, which is kind of low (but not crazy low). Ideally you want it between 8 and 11 (143 and 196.7), but anywhere between 7 and 12 (125.2 and 214.6ppm) is okay. Basically one unit of dkh equals 17.9ppm. Its a little bit concerning that your nitrates are zero (given that your tank is fairly new, I’m guessing the test isn’t accurate, you shouldn’t be seeing zero nitrates in a newly cycled tank). What kind of testing kit are you using?

Is your Xenia just floating around not attached to anything? If so, put it in a little cup (preferably clear) with some rock rubble or sand (but ideally you want some larger pieces of suvlbstrate) and cover it with some tulle (like wedding veil material) and let it sit in there (in the tank, obviously) until it attaches to some of the substrate and starts looking a better.

Your gsp is looking okay, despite not being open, it’s still a healthy color. If it’s opening more and more like you said, it should be fully open within a week or so (IME, once they’re comfortable they slowly open more and more each day over the course of a week or so until they’re fully open).

Yes idk I've lost hope with them I think it's been about 3 weeks now

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It cane off the rock it was on and couldn't get it after I'm new to saltwater tanks and am about 5 weeks into cycle

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back