Pulsing Xenia is not looking good

Jeroen1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First impression: Ooh, look how cute they are when they pulse.
Second impression: Neat, they're spreading so quickly.
Last impression: Why won't these things ****ing die?! I keep pulling them out and tiny colonies keep popping up everywhere. I hate xenias!
I keep them on an island. Thin em out. And hope no spreading

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First impression: Ooh, look how cute they are when they pulse.
Second impression: Neat, they're spreading so quickly.
Last impression: Why won't these things ****ing die?! I keep pulling them out and tiny colonies keep popping up everywhere. I hate xenias!
Mine doesn’t even pulse… What a rip off !

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got pulsing Xenia and GSP from friends tank .I place it 12hr before after that night I switched off the light .GSP starts to come out ,but Xenia is not looking good ,I have diy Marine blue light with 30watss and nano tank with 90liters and medium flow from return no wavemakers added.Before turing on the light Xenia is flat now stands off after on the lights.I've attached a file for reference and how much Max and min nitrate and phosphate these two can handle.In before I have green and brown alage in my tank
To much flow mate, they dont like being blown about, best if they are nearly still and you can see them pulsing. They also like slightly higher nitrate levels

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a week for a coral to get used to new surroundings, but I also think your flow is way too high for a xenia. They can tolerate periods of higher flow (if that just happens to be when you took the pic) but they should be in lowish flow zones.

I had a $35 xenia frag grow into two basketball sized colonies in a year. Made lots of cash selling them off too. And they loved my tank (first saltwater tank back in the day) even with struggles with parameters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back