Is my YWG ok?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These fish are known to explore the tank. They go through color changes an unlike a blenny, they dont have to have round bellies but an indication of adequate nutrition. These gobies are always alert and protective of their environment and will flee into their hiding places if they sense danger.
They also are jumpers.
They are omnivores and will eat anything they can swallow and favor small meaty foods such as Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live and frozen bloodworms, LRS fish frenzy, and plankton.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome idea!! Did they seem to pair quickly?! One I bought as a pair and other one paired within a week after the goby learned the ways of the goby.
They did not unfortunately :( lol. They were sort of together for maybe a few weeks but they've since become simply neighbors that tolerate each other to some extent. The goby has his spot and the shrimp excavated everything under the main rockwork behind him. If the shrimp comes up the gobys way he moves out...

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn! I was so eager to get this pair, just cause I find their relationship so fascinating! So many times I seen my goby bringing the shrimp some food, as well as them each decorating their lair with all the shells from my snails the shrimp took out! But still great to watch!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are known to explore the tank. They go through color changes an unlike a blenny, they dont have to have round bellies but an indication of adequate nutrition. These gobies are always alert and protective of their environment and will flee into their hiding places if they sense danger.
They also are jumpers.
They are omnivores and will eat anything they can swallow and favor small meaty foods such as Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live and frozen bloodworms, LRS fish frenzy, and plankton.
I love when I see your name. Can always trust what your face hole says to me

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn! I was so eager to get this pair, just cause I find their relationship so fascinating! So many times I seen my goby bringing the shrimp some food, as well as them each decorating their lair with all the shells from my snails the shrimp took out! But still great to watch!
Me as well; such an interesting thing to watch. Unfortunately either my individual shrimp is not co-operative or this species doesn't pair; now there's a lot of information on pistol shrimps and squat specific to this Japanese variety so maybe I practiced some poor husbandry there but everyone is thriving so... next time

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me as well; such an interesting thing to watch. Unfortunately either my individual shrimp is not co-operative or this species doesn't pair; now there's a lot of information on pistol shrimps and squat specific to this Japanese variety so maybe I practiced some poor husbandry there but everyone is thriving so... next time
I dont think that species pairs.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not really needed. The gobies and shrimp communicate through smell and vibrations. They will smell each other even if they don't see eachother and pair when ready.
Oh, I thought it was through constant contact with their antennae and tail gestures from the goby; at least that's what I've seen...

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought it was through constant contact with their antennae and tail gestures from the goby; at least that's what I've seen...
Thats part of how they do it once they are paired. But not how they find a goby to pair with. Its definitely funny to watch them "holding hands" when they are out and about though!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats part of how they do it once they are paired. But not how they find a goby to pair with. Its definitely funny to watch them "holding hands" when they are out and about though!
I'm back, just got the shrimp it's acclimating right now

Attachments

• 20221215_121344.jpg
    20221215_121344.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. Interesting! Op it looks good, nice and small. Keep us posted on how they pair

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. Interesting! Op it looks good, nice and small. Keep us posted on how they pair
That was quick!! Lol
They paired. All done up lookin fancy and cute together. Super happy for the goby. He seems much happier and he's eating again. I do blame the Clown. Had to be him

Attachments

• 20221215_154156.mp4
    10.4 MB

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a shrimp. No one has any
If you're in the U.S., setup an alert on Reef Cleaners. If you have a small tank and don't want a bulldozer or are worried about the shrimp wreaking havoc on your other inverts, I highly recommend the Randall's Pistol (RC has a few in stock). They're quite a bit smaller and compatible with just about every invert (I had pom pom crabs, bumblebee snails, blue leg hermits, cleaner shrimp, and peppermint shrimp in the tank too). Paired instantly with my YWG

*Edit* Just saw you got one. Disregard!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're in the U.S., setup an alert on Reef Cleaners. If you have a small tank and don't want a bulldozer or are worried about the shrimp wreaking havoc on your other inverts, I highly recommend the Randall's Pistol (RC has a few in stock). They're quite a bit smaller and compatible with just about every invert (I had pom pom crabs, bumblebee snails, blue leg hermits, cleaner shrimp, and peppermint shrimp in the tank too). Paired instantly with my YWG

Actually just found someone who had one. It was a tiger pistol in my 90 gallon. Ive banished all my hermits to the sump. Goby is completely paired now

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah real quick. I can't imagine the shrimp being too much of a problem. He dug a really deep hole. I'm hoping he leaves my snails and my starfish alone
Looking good! It should. Even my testy guy snaps away but nobody is harmed. All snails, shrimp, fish accounted for. I think he snaps at bristleworms and also as just a warning, not necessarily to harm... Watched him go up to my anenome the other day and slowwwllyly reach an arm out to touch a tentacle; it jerked its claw back a few times like it was being electrocuted lol and moved on

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back