OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! It should. Even my testy guy snaps away but nobody is harmed. All snails, shrimp, fish accounted for. I think he snaps at bristleworms and also as just a warning, not necessarily to harm... Watched him go up to my anenome the other day and slowwwllyly reach an arm out to touch a tentacle; it jerked its claw back a few times like it was being electrocuted lol and moved on
I be all for killing bristle worms. I don't have a lot of hatred in this hobby, but bristle worms top the chart

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! It should. Even my testy guy snaps away but nobody is harmed. All snails, shrimp, fish accounted for. I think he snaps at bristleworms and also as just a warning, not necessarily to harm... Watched him go up to my anenome the other day and slowwwllyly reach an arm out to touch a tentacle; it jerked its claw back a few times like it was being electrocuted lol and moved on
And as a thank you, I leave a gift behind. Here is a photo of my cat I like to stick in random places

Attachments

• IMG_9743.jpg
    IMG_9743.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 25

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a YWG about two weeks ago. He did the same thing! I was wondering if he was broken! Lol. He did it for like a week. But he is good now, paired up with my shrimp and is now doing YWG things!
mine did it too, he did it for a month, took a break and a month later he started doing it again. Hasnt been doing it for a few months now

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine did it too, he did it for a month, took a break and a month later he started doing it again. Hasnt been doing it for a few months now
I figured it out. My clownfish were messing with it. I got him a pistol shrimp and he hasn't been happier. They paired in about 20 minutes after introduction. He was quick on the draw and now they're inseparable and he never leaves the sand bed now.

The only thing I have to say about the pistol shrimp is, try to keep Coral away from where it will start digging. He's getting pretty close to burying one of my zoas. He also likes to create a massive dust storm for the first three to four days. Once filtration gets rid of the fine particles, there's never a sandstorm problem. He's made multiple dens now and I still don't have sandstorms

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. My clownfish were messing with it. I got him a pistol shrimp and he hasn't been happier. They paired in about 20 minutes after introduction. He was quick on the draw and now they're inseparable and he never leaves the sand bed now.

The only thing I have to say about the pistol shrimp is, try to keep Coral away from where it will start digging. He's getting pretty close to burying one of my zoas. He also likes to create a massive dust storm for the first three to four days. Once filtration gets rid of the fine particles, there's never a sandstorm problem. He's made multiple dens now and I still don't have sandstorms
Nice! I loved watching it when the ywg's pair with shrimp its so cool
Yeah, I got him a pistol shrimp too but for some reason my pistol shrimp kept dying. I got him 3 over a period of a few months. Probably got collapsed in by sand or rocks. But then my ywg paired with a diamond goby in the tank but then the diamond goby jumped 10 feet down and died so now hes by himself.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I loved watching it when the ywg's pair with shrimp its so cool
Yeah, I got him a pistol shrimp too but for some reason my pistol shrimp kept dying. I got him 3 over a period of a few months. Probably got collapsed in by sand or rocks. But then my ywg paired with a diamond goby in the tank but then the diamond goby jumped 10 feet down and died so now hes by himself.
dang... weird set of occurrences. My rocks were put on the glass before sand so there's no risk of shifting. So what you're saying could have possibly happened if you put your rocks on the sand

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my pistol shrimps I had for a month decorated his home with corals lol. He placed it into a perfectly fitting hole in their rock and it was there for a long time. My pistol shrimp also enjoyed finding any old shells from the sandbed and putting them in front of the house. He even once dragged some hermits there lol. Its funny how goofy they can be

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang... weird set of occurrences. My rocks were put on the glass before sand so there's no risk of shifting. So what you're saying could have possibly happened if you put your rocks on the sand
Good point, yeah I did place the rocks on the sand after. Didnt think of that, thanks for the tip! Ill keep it in mind, im actually removing all my sand and rocks to clean cause of an algae problem, so when I put the rocks back in later ill put them in first

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my pistol shrimps I had for a month decorated his home with corals lol. He placed it into a perfectly fitting hole in their rock and it was there for a long time. My pistol shrimp also enjoyed finding any old shells from the sandbed and putting them in front of the house. He even once dragged some hermits there lol. Its funny how goofy they can be
They're awesome to have if you can get over the fear of hearing that pop every so often. I have a big 90 gallon with inch thick glass and I still keep thinking my glass just broke every time I hear it. It's a mentality you definitely have to get over lol

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, yeah I did place the rocks on the sand after. Didnt think of that, thanks for the tip! Ill keep it in mind, im actually removing all my sand and rocks to clean cause of an algae problem, so when I put the rocks back in later ill put them in first
If you put your rocks first, see if you can find the caribsea life rock. Look for the flat shelfs to boost the height of your scape because it'll be shortened by the sandbeds thickness.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put your rocks first, see if you can find the caribsea life rock. Look for the flat shelfs to boost the height of your scape because it'll be shortened by the sandbeds thickness.
I have caribsea life rock right now, Ive got one flat piece my xenia used to be on but now its dead cause of algae so I can use it as a base, good point. Thanks. The rest of my rock is wildly shaped sadly. I attached a picture of my ywg when I first got him because my dad dropped him when we were carrying him home lol he probably got permanantly damaged because he is still to this day (hes like 1.5 years old now) he has not grown even a bit. I feed him a lot and he has a bulge at his stomach but idk
1674152027405.png
1674152054263.png
1674152080416.png

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caribsea life rock right now, Ive got one flat piece my xenia used to be on but now its dead cause of algae so I can use it as a base, good point. Thanks. The rest of my rock is wildly shaped sadly. I attached a picture of my ywg when I first got him because my dad dropped him when we were carrying him home lol he probably got permanantly damaged because he is still to this day (hes like 1.5 years old now) he has not grown even a bit. I feed him a lot and he has a bulge at his stomach but idk
1674152027405.png
1674152054263.png
1674152080416.png
Oh no, poor guy.. I dropped my neon goby from like 2 feet up into a bucket. Luckily he was still in the bag so it kind of got cushioned so no judgment on my end. I'll send a picture of my Watchmen. I got lucky and he chose to be right in the front so I get to see the pair of them daily.

(Edit as I was taking the photo, the best opportunity to take it came up lol, there'll be a picture of the entire rockscape that shows the and its location and then an up-close shot of them with a macro lens and color filter lens)

Attachments

• 20230119_132159.jpg
    20230119_132159.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230119_131939.jpg
    20230119_131939.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230119_132134.jpg
    20230119_132134.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 20

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, poor guy.. I dropped my neon goby from like 2 feet up into a bucket. Luckily he was still in the bag so it kind of got cushioned so no judgment on my end. I'll send a picture of my Watchmen. I got lucky and he chose to be right in the front so I get to see the pair of them daily.

(Edit as I was taking the photo, the best opportunity to take it came up lol, there'll be a picture of the entire rockscape that shows the and its location and then an up-close shot of them with a macro lens and color filter lens)
Nice! Looks good. My dad dropped mine on the rocky driveway and the bag got punctured sadly, he fell like 4 feet and water splashed a lot and he was in the bag iteself with no water, and we had to put him in the tank quickly without acclimation. Probably explains why he is so stunted lol

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Looks good. My dad dropped mine on the rocky driveway and the bag got punctured sadly, he fell like 4 feet and water splashed a lot and he was in the bag iteself with no water, and we had to put him in the tank quickly without acclimation. Probably explains why he is so stunted lol
Oh man that sucks. I'm glad he's still alive though I guess

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that sucks. I'm glad he's still alive though I guess
hes still alive and roams a bit but he did the same thing yours did with the "Flying" around the tank a lot. I agree with you about the stress I had a few other fish at the time, nothing aggressive but still he was probably just stressed. Now he stopped doing it and lives under a rock and in a tunnel his pistol shrimp dug for him. Sadly I hate to do it but because I have a bryopsis outbreak I need to take all the sand and rocks out, the poor guy will be so stressed lol. Ill get him some pvc pipes or something for him while im cleaning the rocks and sand or something.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think this is normal 2 months in?
Try adding garlic of some sort to mysis to get him to eat. But him swimming around to me is that he is comfortable enough to leave cave and venture out without threat of being attacked

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hes still alive and roams a bit but he did the same thing yours did with the "Flying" around the tank a lot. I agree with you about the stress I had a few other fish at the time, nothing aggressive but still he was probably just stressed. Now he stopped doing it and lives under a rock and in a tunnel his pistol shrimp dug for him. Sadly I hate to do it but because I have a bryopsis outbreak I need to take all the sand and rocks out, the poor guy will be so stressed lol. Ill get him some pvc pipes or something for him while im cleaning the rocks and sand or something.
Hey I wish you the best of luck man that sounds like a pain in the butt. I have no experience with that, only really bad dinos so good luck

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wish you the best of luck man that sounds like a pain in the butt. I have no experience with that, only really bad dinos so good luck
Dinos sucks too ive got those right now too. Also red cyano bacteria and gha of course lol. Anyways your tank looks great and good luck with your goby and pistol shrimp! Good to know that others had the same issue with their ywg at first, well, not "good" but I mean its good information

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos sucks too ive got those right now too. Also red cyano bacteria and gha of course lol. Anyways your tank looks great and good luck with your goby and pistol shrimp! Good to know that others had the same issue with their ywg at first, well, not "good" but I mean its good information
O get what you mean. Honestly I personally prefer dinos due to a lack of nutrients over anything else. Adding more is always easier than removing. My established quarantine has dinos right now that I'm fighting off pretty effectively. There's a trumpet Coral in there and I culture pods so obviously an endless amount of all species of copepods.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back