Is Phosphate important to test?

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was gifted a well-established reef tank back in december (3 fish, some soft coral and a war coral), and I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the hobby to try and keep everyone alive. I bought the red sea marine care and fundamentals multi-test kits, and neither of them have phosphate tests. Red Sea offers a dedicated phosphate kit, but at $45, it's almost as expensive as the entire multi-kits I got. Does the omission of the phosphate test mean it's not truly necessary to test for? Or should I grit my teeth and get the additional kit as well.

Thanks!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOr $45 I would get the Hanna ULR (Ultra low range) Phosphate checker. I ordered the Phosphorous checker (have to convert to phosphate) but its more accurate. I get it Wednesday so I will be able to tell you how I like it. Its important to test when you have problems or things happen that you cant explain without testing.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If keeping corals, phosphate testing is a must. For corals, they need just enough and not too much. Alkalinity is very important but I feel it’s much easier to keep stable. My most watched parameter is PO4.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is an important measure of water quality. Many species are sensitive to high phosphate (nitrate as well). I test both phosphate and nitrate regularly and strive to keep in check (but not 0).

OP
OP
ConnivingPigeon

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... thanks for the tips. I'm kinda surprised something so important wasn't in these two large kits. I'll look into that hannah checker. I'm already annoyed with having to "eyeball" what color different liquids are :)

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... thanks for the tips. I'm kinda surprised something so important wasn't in these two large kits. I'll look into that hannah checker. I'm already annoyed with having to "eyeball" what color different liquids are :)
No eyeballing with the hanna checker.

OP
OP
ConnivingPigeon

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No eyeballing with the hanna checker.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking into it ;) .

Shelbel0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the hanna Phosphate ULR and the reading is .23 just now. Is that a good reading. I wanna say it is but asking to be sure.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back