Is pokerstar montipora even LE?

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a really nice colony (about 5 inches high fully encrusted) of pokerstar that I am thinking about buying for $100. Do you guys think its a good deal? Is even still considered LE?

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its a good deal? I like it but if i could find something cheeper... i can wait

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at it this way, 5" at $100 is 1" at $20. I think that is more than fair. If you like the coral, then spend the coin. If not then don't. It all depends on what you feel the coral is worth to you.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a fair deal. But, if you are looking to collect LE coral the pokerstar is not LE. But, in my opinion its an awesome monti for sure.
I have a huge colony that I frag often.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is even still considered LE?

That's a good question Mike. I have often wondered who has the authority to place the "LE" stamp on a coral. Also, who has the power/right to name a coral? Is it only Tyree, ORA, Atlantis, etc. or can individual reefkeepers who have a coral that they got in a trade several years ago from someone who didn't know the name (or didn't care) name a coral? For instance I got a tort several years ago from someone just like that. To me it looks like the Oregon Tort. Now that it has grown to the point that I can frag it, what do I call it? I don't feel comfortable claiming it to be an Oregon when I'm not sure. I simply call it an Alabama Blue Tort. Nobody seemed to have used that name yet. Now I see others who have traded or bought frags from me offering the Alabama Blue Tort.

Another example, I have a very shaggy millepora with green polyps and blue/purple tips. I don't know what it is but it's truly a remarkable piece. Do I call it a "blue tip mille"? That would get lost in the crowd of all the others. I gave it a name "H@rry Kari". I have never claimed that any of my coral are "LE".

Some people have snickered and criticized me for naming some of my frags when I trade with others. I guess they feel like I don't have the right or authority to place a name on a frag.

I have the Poker Star. I like it but it's certainly not one of my favorites. I think "LE" was supposed to mean "Limited Edition", like much sought after and hard to find and therefore very expensive. Two years later when everybody and their mama have grown it out and started selling frags is it still a "LE"? I remember several years ago when the Oregon Tort was over $100/frag and you had to get on a waiting list to even get a chance to buy one. I guess that was "LE". Now you can find frags for $15 - $20. Is it still a "LE"?

If you like it and think the price is fair, buy it. Don't worry if anybody else thinks it's "LE".

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a fair to ok deal. make sure its not a wild colony. lots of those come in maricultured around that size and dont keep the color very well. not saying all of them i am just saying it happens alot and normaly those are the ones in that rpice range for larger peices.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot more fun to buy small and grow out. You'll get more variety that way.........

Acropora Crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a fair to ok deal. make sure its not a wild colony. lots of those come in maricultured around that size and dont keep the color very well. not saying all of them i am just saying it happens alot and normaly those are the ones in that rpice range for larger peices.

I was going to say the same thing.

I have a wild colony or maricultured and it will color up but it requires perfect conditions.
I also have the LE lineaged piece to and it is almost as finicky but not quite.

But if it is colored up nice and has been in a tank for a while I would say $100.00 is a good deal.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see those frags go for $15-25 between traders. Those are generally covering a good portion of a frag plus, so $100 for 5" isnt bad at all. If you dont want to spend that much you can always ask a local reefer to split it with you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back