Is red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina davii) safe for live feeding?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that makes a lot more sense now! Thanks! I was concerned you were going after a ribbon eel....

According to the wiki page, it seems like they like munching on polychaetes (bristleworms???), as well as a very specific shrimp species, Saron marmoratus. Any reason why you wouldn't try to breed the Saron?

I also can't help but wonder if it might be cheaper for you to feed hermit crabs long term..

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could try to go with breeding Saron marmoratus, and get some polychaetes, before feeding to the moray eel we could try to gut load the prey with squid and then feed it to the eel, maybe the eel will accept squid at some point

About the ribbon eel, Im fascinated with eels, and if I have something sure, is that the ribbon eel is expert only, since is 10x more picky than the barred eel (Echidna polyzona)

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research, and the moray eel also eats some crabs, so maybe I have another food source for my eel, since a shop sells live saltwater and brackish crabs, so maybe a diet composed of Saron Malmoratus, hermit crabs, saltwater ghost shrimp and saltwater crabs/brackish crabs may be ok, then eventually maybe the eel will accept squid, as every shrimp/crab will be gut loaded with squid, but Im not sure, what do you think?

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the eel eats mostly crustaceans in nature, then I’d expect it to be more willing to eat shrimp than squid. Why squid?

The live food selection looks good, I’d gutload with somethingike a quality pellet instead of squid, since it’s more nutritionally balanced.

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice of gut loading the crustaceans with quality pellets instead of squid, any advice for the eel to start eating frozen?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back