Is Rock Flower Nems Dying? Tentacle melting issue

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone
I got 14 rfa in my 150 g tank

recently two of my beauty started to loose tentacles. It is obviously rotting and falling a part. Does anyone ever had something like theese? Please see below pics and tank parameters
First I tought they get too
salinity 1025
Temperature 24.5C
Ca 415
kH 8.5
Mg 1475
Phospate 0.03
Nitrate 1-3 ppm
PH around 8.25
I have no papermint shrimp or filefish

fishes I have ;
Naso tang
Scoppaa tang
Yellow tang
Pyramid butterfly
Yellow wrasse
Cromis
Mandarin dragonet
Clown fishes

sea cucumber.
3CAB0022-AF38-4D7D-AD8B-11D2F2302557.jpeg
6B3EB2F4-6215-4C6A-AE1A-CA60E556D214.jpeg
284E460B-9569-4385-BE6B-8A1A85660FFC.jpeg
AD905A0E-20FA-4374-B4B4-77C6F7525363.jpeg

Click here to see the video

Second video you can see slimy things on it

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? Even if you've had them a couple months it's still possible they had an issue when you got them. You PO4 is just marginally acceptable and I would raise it. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? Even if you've had them a couple months it's still possible they had an issue when you got them. You PO4 is just marginally acceptable and I would raise it. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.
Its been around 2 months. Po4 will rise slowly in time due to incresed feedin of fishes. Do you know if I can dip rfa in iodine or something?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try but I wouldn't, just keep an close eye on them if you do. If most are looking good and most of your other corals look good odds are they just didn't acclimate well or they had some other issue before you got them.

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try but I wouldn't, just keep an close eye on them if you do. If most are looking good and most of your other corals look good odds are they just didn't acclimate well or they had some other issue before you got them.
The rest off the corals are all good. I have quite full tank. The rfa night in 2 days. Just melted away, the second one is fighting ıts been more than a week but about to lose the war. I will try dipping iodine

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for those who might see topic, 2 rfa died the same way. Starting from tentacles melting. I had 16 rfa in system now 14.
@Ron Reefman did you ever had something like that ı also Have two babies. Theones that died they were close to torch corals.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those two were the only two close to Torchs it's "possible" the torchs stung them with sweeper tenticles. I'd expect ro see longer sweepers but have you ever looked at night to see if some tenticles are longer?

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those two were the only two close to Torchs it's "possible" the torchs stung them with sweeper tenticles. I'd expect ro see longer sweepers but have you ever looked at night to see if some tenticles are longer?
I have checked at night but have not seen that long tentacles unfortunatelly..

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for those who might see topic, 2 rfa died the same way. Starting from tentacles melting. I had 16 rfa in system now 14.
@Ron Reefman did you ever had something like that ı also Have two babies. Theones that died they were close to torch corals.
I have had a few RFAs 'melt away' over the years and I have no idea why.

I just lost one a week ago, maybe the 3rd or 4th one I've lost over the last 10 years. It's in a coral & anemone only tank; no fish or shrimp and one small serpent star. That tank has several small feather dusters that I consider the most fragile members of the tank, and they are doing just fine.

I wish I could help, but I have no idea.

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No shrimps, but I see sphagetti worms tentacles around rfas
ohhh, okay. well, my theory was going to be that the shrimp picked it to death.

i have three cleaner shrimp that have picked apart one of my long tentacle, tube nems, and a gorgeous RFA that i had.... no idea why, exactly? but, just my experience.

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhh, okay. well, my theory was going to be that the shrimp picked it to death.

i have three cleaner shrimp that have picked apart one of my long tentacle, tube nems, and a gorgeous RFA that i had.... no idea why, exactly? but, just my experience.
Interestingly, 3rd of them also started to die off, and I lowered UV light level and it covered from half dead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back