Is salinity enough to kill a torch coral overnight?

  • Thread starter Thread starter germs101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Brown jelly is a bacterial infection and can kill fast. It had to have been stresed or injured at some point and this caused the bacteria to overwhelm the poor coral. Could be from transport (only had 2 weeks?), could be a drastic change of alk or salinity, I think it more than likely was injured somewhere and got infected. You just saw the last stages of it. Did you dip it prior to adding in lugols or coral rx or similar? These can help with the bacteria infections when corals first arrive. FME
 
I just received my calibration fluid. I adjusted it to 35 ppm (1.026) and pointed it at a very bright window. The LED bulbs in the house weren't giving me as crisp of a reading. After testing the water it's reading between 1.026-1.027, so I'm guessing it isn't the salinity that killed it.

I did not dip the coral in anything. It came from the store and temp acclimated it and then into the tank. I'd buy that the coral had an infection, but why did the feather duster lose it's crown? Doesn't that mean it died? I haven't removed the feather duster yet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new