OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get ahold of him for 6 months trying to ask questions before I bought 6 lites and never got a response via email, FB, or phone. Heck my LFS used to sell his stuff and they stopped because they couldn’t ever get ahold of anyone. I spent a ton more but I ended up with AI’s.
You have a lot more patience then me ! I’m newer to salt but will be trying my hand at some LPS/ SPS sometime down the road, if your light ***** out I don’t think waiting 6 months is feasible. How do you like your AIs? May just look for a light compatible with whatever controller I go with.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is all that’s out there now as DI Reefkeeper went out of business FYI. I am running 6 old AI Sol Blues and love them! But seeing they are now no longer supported I’m looking between Kessil and Radions.

Claire Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shop in their LFS fairly regularly. In their FB page last month, monthly Sunday Swap was canceled due to Mike being in the hospital. I saw him in the store this past Sunday, and I know he was heading to MACNA. But yeah, after-sale customer service is important.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update for those intrested : finally got hold recently via phone. Was told Ill get an email with invoice for parts needed and get a phone call back to confirm. Guy who answered was very courteous and pleasant to deal with. I will let everyone know how or if the process proceeds. Fb was responded to last night, but just told me to call and email, responded to that post trying to confirm correct contact info with no answer so far. As previously stated its been hectic over there last month apparently, and with them going to MANCA they left a family/friend to handle emails and I’m taking it hasn’t gone well. Seems like a smaller business to deal with which has its pros and cons. Contacting them while they are busy or have personal things going on would be a con. As previously stated no issues with equipment and great construction- pro. A back- up light is probably a good idea with any setup, but maybe having one you’d want to live with for a month (or as others have said up to6) might be a good idea.

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good help is hard to find. Thanks for sharing. This story, unfortunately for SB, does make a big impact on my purchasing decision.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them an email about 3 months ago on an issue with one of my strips. Never received a response.
I would contact via phone as that is how I got a hold of them. It’s the number for there brick and mortar store they run. Get an employees name and explain the situation. He admitted at times there overwhelmed at the counter with customers so call back during operating hours regularly or during a time that may not be as busy. Hopefully I’ll be able to tell you, that it ends in positive results

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update for those intrested : finally got hold recently via phone. Was told Ill get an email with invoice for parts needed and get a phone call back to confirm. Guy who answered was very courteous and pleasant to deal with. I will let everyone know how or if the process proceeds. Fb was responded to last night, but just told me to call and email, responded to that post trying to confirm correct contact info with no answer so far. As previously stated its been hectic over there last month apparently, and with them going to MANCA they left a family/friend to handle emails and I’m taking it hasn’t gone well. Seems like a smaller business to deal with which has its pros and cons. Contacting them while they are busy or have personal things going on would be a con. As previously stated no issues with equipment and great construction- pro. A back- up light is probably a good idea with any setup, but maybe having one you’d want to live with for a month (or as others have said up to6) might be a good idea.
Good to know. Despite the two year warranty that they offer, it may not be as good a deal if it is difficult to get a hold of them (weeks to months from some posts), especially if it's near the end of the warranty period. I hope they step up their game with regards to customer service. Unfortunately, this greatly impacts my decision to place an order.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is all that’s out there now as DI Reefkeeper went out of business FYI. I am running 6 old AI Sol Blues and love them! But seeing they are now no longer supported I’m looking between Kessil and Radions.

Also GHL Profilux.

DAMMITKAI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waiting 2.5 weeks trying to get an issue resolved with one of my lights. It's taken emails, PMs, and several phone calls and only got a hold of someone 3 times. According to FB, he was in the hospital for awhile and then now off to macna. I'd say when you can get a hold of him or Collette, thy're really good at taking care of their products and the people who buy them. Best luck is to keep calling the shop until someone picks up.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was seriously considering there lights but this has pushed me to reconsider customer service is very important and no one is that busy to not be able to at least send some kind of reply in all that time.I think I am going to go with reef breeders ther light are great and I have there other products and needed to reach them there custermer service is top notch and fast

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was seriously considering there lights but this has pushed me to reconsider customer service is very important and no one is that busy to not be able to at least send some kind of reply in all that time.I think I am going to go with reef breeders ther light are great and I have there other products and needed to reach them there custermer service is top notch and fast

They are good lights... just sucks communication is bad...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I and a few of us have same difficulty. They are very small family based company with a fantastic light.
They could really open the channels and market their lighting to an empire. Hard to get a hold of they are and in fact owner sent me his cell # in May and I left voice message with no reply.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ghl is alive and working. Neptune's is not the only one in the controller business.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I shop in their LFS fairly regularly. In their FB page last month, monthly Sunday Swap was canceled due to Mike being in the hospital. I saw him in the store this past Sunday, and I know he was heading to MACNA. But yeah, after-sale customer service is important.

Not important- ITS' EVERYTHING !!!

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t get back to yous to update. Been battling a GReen hair, cyano, possibly Dino , high nitrate firestorm. ;Dead Lights been off so haven’t thought about it.

Have not received a follow-up call from the employee that said they would

Have not got an email for the invoice for the parts I needed , that was supposed to be sent right over.

Have not seen response from any of the original messages/ emails or newer ones.

Lesson learned( or relearned): Buy from established brand with, in the US customer service, or a store that will assist with warranty. Pay the extra money and be done with it. If I had the free- time to constantly call and what not I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t, and my times too valuable. I’ll pay the extra cash next time around.

Last edited:

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this. I’ve sent them a few emails in the past and never received a response but they were just sales inquiries so it didn’t matter to me much...it didn’t occur to me that if I placed an order I would probably be dealing with the same issue if I needed customer support.

Bbqguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst customer service in this industry! I bought 9 lights from Mike when I was opening my shop end of 2016. From the first invoice I paid to the second one 20 mins later. To not shipping for a month then promised to come down and hook up to Apex (never showed even with wholesalers for coral and fish we used is 7 minutes from me ). Promised to take pics of shop and promote, never did. Had to give a customer one of my lights because SB would never reply to him or me about repair/replace. Several SBs I bought crapped out in year or less and not worth the aggravation to replace. I switched most all now to Radions or T5s and could not be happier. Ecotech customer service and support is outstanding.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this. I’ve sent them a few emails in the past and never received a response but they were just sales inquiries so it didn’t matter to me much...it didn’t occur to me that if I placed an order I would probably be dealing with the same issue if I needed customer support.

Yep And Possibly, ....if I’m thinking straight,....and not overly giddy with excitement. The next major purchase I make I’ll probably do just that. Send a few “ test “ support emails and see how quick there help desk gets back to me. Before spending the cash.

In my eyes: Three things make all the difference with large purchases. Quality , so that hopefully you’ll never have to deal with an issue. (Hope to avoid this with reading reviews). The second if there is an issue, how well their customer support is,which hopefully a tester message or call to support would give some confidence in that regard. And the third being that they’re doing well enough as a business to still be around when you do have a problem.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its becoming obvious what will be SB reef's destiny. That's too bad. I like their lights

Dan.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are having some growing pains. Reworking the email contact system, emails were getting lost iirc. Local phone company issues as well. Mike was in the hospital a few times. He's at macna with new products currently. Sbreef is only going up from here.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back