OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes provided they’re accurate. What test kits are you using?
Phos - .06

there is a thing as too much flow especially when you have a mixed reef not to mention certain toxins
I use Red Sea for everything, then a second nitrate test with Salifert. I don't have access to a phosphate test kit, I don't even think my LFS sells them.

I have one powerhead in my tank currently, and lots of live rock to break up the flow. It's in a low flow area with just enough movement to keep it free from debris as Tidal Gardens recommended

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for everything, then a second nitrate test with Salifert. I don't have access to a phosphate test kit, I don't even think my LFS sells them.

I have one powerhead in my tank currently, and lots of live rock to break up the flow. It's in a low flow area with just enough movement to keep it free from debris as Tidal Gardens recommended
Can almost guarantee it is light shock seeing the light system you have. It will bounce back! And once you remove that GFO your nutrients will as well. As soon as you see feeder tentacles start feeding it. That is key to bringing it back. Maybe try some restor and reef energy AB in the mean time. Are you dosing phytoplankton?

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can almost guarantee it is light shock seeing the light system you have. It will bounce back! And once you remove that GFO your nutrients will as well. As soon as you see feeder tentacles start feeding it. That is key to bringing it back. Maybe try some restor and reef energy AB in the mean time. Are you dosing phytoplankton?
Thanks for the advice! I guess I went from having not enough light to a bit too much, lol. I haven't been able to connect my Radion to the computer program so I've been using the first light setting that comes on when I press the middle button on the light

I was dosing phyto daily, soaking frozen food in it then broadcast feeding, but I'm low so I'm currently working on culturing it with the last of what I have

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I guess I went from having not enough light to a bit too much, lol. I haven't been able to connect my Radion to the computer program so I've been using the first light setting that comes on when I press the middle button on the light

I was dosing phyto daily, soaking frozen food in it then broadcast feeding, but I'm low so I'm currently working on culturing it with the last of what I have
Okay sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. I think if you figured out your preset/PAR situation it will help you a lot in terms of placement. Im guessing that if it is a Radion standard preset it will be more on the higher side. As others stated these are deep water corals they dont like a lot of light and can do fine in 50 PAR conditions.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. I think if you figured out your preset/PAR situation it will help you a lot in terms of placement. Im guessing that if it is a Radion standard preset it will be more on the higher side. As others stated these are deep water corals they dont like a lot of light and can do fine in 50 PAR conditions.
Yeah, currently working with my LFS to figure out the light situation. They're Gen 4 XR30s second-hand from the shop, all worked great on the tanks. I brought one home, my computer detected the light but the Radion program didn't. Swapped out the light for a different one and same issue. So we're going to see what we can do, I called EcoTech and they just want me to send the light in but I think it's a software issue rather than a hardware issue tbh

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, currently working with my LFS to figure out the light situation. They're Gen 4 XR30s second-hand from the shop, all worked great on the tanks. I brought one home, my computer detected the light but the Radion program didn't. Swapped out the light for a different one and same issue. So we're going to see what we can do, I called EcoTech and they just want me to send the light in but I think it's a software issue rather than a hardware issue tbh
You may just want to bite the bullet and upgrade to AI prime. It makes customization very easy and most in the hobby have it now.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may just want to bite the bullet and upgrade to AI prime. It makes customization very easy and most in the hobby have it now.
How would switching to a different light that is more or less the same quality be an upgrade for op? Correct me if I’m wrong but ai hasn’t improved their lights since the g4 so I wouldn’t call that much of an upgrade more just a switch in lighting. You also suggested a smaller, less powerful light as an upgrade. Both are older model lights with similar features. I don’t think most people in the hobby have ai either lol. A lot do but a lot of people use eco tech and I would bet there are more budget Amazon/Ali express lights than primes in use in our hobby.

Op I would stick with the lights you have if you can figure it out. You obviously can’t replace that with a single prime and it’s not worth it to buy multiple primes for similar effect. Hopefully you can figure this issue out but other than the lighting upgrade lots of good info here.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would switching to a different light that is more or less the same quality be an upgrade for op? Correct me if I’m wrong but ai hasn’t improved their lights since the g4 so I wouldn’t call that much of an upgrade more just a switch in lighting. You also suggested a smaller, less powerful light as an upgrade. Both are older model lights with similar features. I don’t think most people in the hobby have ai either lol. A lot do but a lot of people use eco tech and I would bet there are more budget Amazon/Ali express lights than primes in use in our hobby.

Op I would stick with the lights you have if you can figure it out. You obviously can’t replace that with a single prime and it’s not worth it to buy multiple primes for similar effect. Hopefully you can figure this issue out but other than the lighting upgrade lots of good info here.
Simply because the customization of the presets. You are able to know exactly which colors of the spectrum's exact intensities at each minute of the day which in this case will be very helpful for coral placement and PAR understanding. Plus AI in general is regarded as one of the top brands in the hobby. You dont have to get all worked up because I suggested a light brand to the OP. Get over yourself.

And again you are wrong. Tons of hobbyists use AI Prime. It is probably the most used brand in terms of lights currently.

Last edited:

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aqua Illumination is the most widely used brand of reef aquarium LED lights in the world because they are easy to use, effective, and reasonably priced. Between the Prime 16HD and Hydra HD series, Aqua Illumination is the best-selling lighting brand on our website and there really is an option for every tank owner."

Straight from the BRS website.. @bert236 :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aqua Illumination is the most widely used brand of reef aquarium LED lights in the world because they are easy to use, effective, and reasonably priced. Between the Prime 16HD and Hydra HD series, Aqua Illumination is the best-selling lighting brand on our website and there really is an option for every tank owner."

Yeah, I don't believe what brs says. They are in it to make money and say what people want to here.
Out of all the light makers, it's a far stretch to say most people use them.
OP has a good light and just needs to work out the bug.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't believe what brs says. They are in it to make money and say what people want to here.
Out of all the light makers, it's a far stretch to say most people use them.
OP has a good light and just needs to work out the bug.
You dont believe it is their top selling light? :dizzy-face: They must be lying.. If you want I could happily find 5 other websites/comapnies that say AI is a top selling light in the hobby. Actually I dont know much about Radions but was just suggesting AI because it sounds like the OP is having trouble with their light.

Last edited:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a jack o lantern so I decided to take the plunge. This is my first SPS coral. I noticed white splotches appearing on it that seem to be pieces missing rather than bleaching.

Here is the photo of when I took it home
20220605_161133.jpg

And the photo of it today with white splotches circled:
20220609_144324.jpg

I have it low in my tank, in a 55g under a Radion G4 XR30. I don't know what the PAR is. Low flow, 1ppm nitrates, 1.025 s.g, 9.0 dkh
did you turn on acclimation mode?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“Best selling brand on our website” does not equate to best selling brand. No offence but if you don’t know much about radions I don’t think you have looked into lighting very much. it is ai and ecotech as the main premium lights and then kessil for the more real to life spectrum/shimmer crowd. The op won’t get any benefit switching from a bigger xr30 light to a smaller ai prime that won’t even cover half his tank. Would have been a better suggestion to go for a hydra instead to replace that but realistically two gen 5+ xr15s or hydra 32s would be ideal for a 4ft tank depending on the livestock.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again you are wrong
I may be wrong about which is the most popular light but at least I’m not giving downright bad suggestions like downsizing a xr30 to a prime hd on a 55 gallon. Just saying.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong about which is the most popular light but at least I’m not giving downright bad suggestions like downsizing a xr30 to a prime hd on a 55 gallon. Just saying.
The fact you are getting this hysterical that I suggested a great brand is boarderline comical. I didn’t even read the tank size. Sorry I said AI Prime instead of just AI. Hydra would probably be needed.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And honestly without knowing his dimensions a prime may be more than fine. Calling that a downright bad suggestion reflects your ignorance on this matter entirely. We don’t have to have experience with every light brand to be educated on the matter or know which companies are reputable. Stop trying to throw shade on me I did nothing to warrant this. You came here with a bad attitude and should leave with it.

- edit - bro you started a tank last year and have not even been in the hobby more than 10 months. you must know everything about all the light companies with your vast experience huh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And honestly without knowing his dimensions a prime may be more than fine. Calling that a downright bad suggestion reflects your ignorance on this matter entirely. We don’t have to have experience with every light brand to be educated on the matter or know which companies are reputable. Stop trying to throw shade on me I did nothing to warrant this. You came here with a bad attitude and should leave with it.

- edit - bro you started a tank last year and have not even been in the hobby more than 10 months. you must know everything about all the light companies with your vast experience huh!
I think I'm going to stick with the light I have because I just dropped $600 on it and my LFS is going to help me make sure that it gets working. So eventually I'll have it do what I need it to do, and for now I can move this coral somewhere in the shade. Dimensions are 35.5" x 21" x 20". I also have two Kessil blues, one on either side.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back