alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stil confused of what you actually see in 'your aquriam'

It's very vague description and videos are old?
Lol, not only have I not posted any videos but i have absolutely not been vague. I said I added a new piece of rock and now I’m finding empty snail shells. Those are images, and they’re not old. The tank is a year old and the picture is from the other day.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My hermits usually eat my snails when they can find them. I am unsure what would be eating your snails and hermits.

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 7BB0BBF3-EC57-466F-8672-5843AD6FB3F6.png
    7BB0BBF3-EC57-466F-8672-5843AD6FB3F6.png
    609.3 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My hermits usually eat my snails when they can find them. I am unsure what would be eating your snails and hermits.
I think the blenny attacks them and then the hermits get them when they’re upside down. But who knows, I did follow one of the posters advice and put the rock in an empty bucket, nothing came out of it. Another user commented something about these worms that break apart I’m going to look into that after work!

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-27-20-05-19-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-27-20-05-19-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 34

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain varieties of combtooth blennies can be real mean, but also they regularly aggressively clean the shells of snails. Healthy snails shouldn't get knocked about by it. I really think the people telling you your tank doesn't have the algae necessary to support your cuc are right. That sand is lily white. They're weak and starving to death and a stiff breeze knocks them over

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stil confused of what you actually see in 'your aquriam'

It's very vague description and videos are old?
My snails aren’t starved and have been living in this tank for seven months, I also supplement feed them with pellets and plenty of other things. There’s a couple of seahorses in this tank so there’s plenty for nass snails to clean up with. Why is “your aquarium” in quotes, did I misspell it somewhere? I feel reasonably, somebody could tell I simply was typing fast. I’m at work and typing on a cell phone under my desk. There’s no need to like scrutinize my post, I’ve been keeping fish tanks for years. You do this on half the things I post it’s strange

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain varieties of combtooth blennies can be real mean, but also they regularly aggressively clean the shells of snails. Healthy snails shouldn't get knocked about by it. I really think the people telling you your tank doesn't have the algae necessary to support your cuc are right. That sand is lily white. They're weak and starving to death and a stiff breeze knocks them over
nassarius snails don’t eat algae. The sand is white because it’s freshly added to a tank that was bare bottom for a while because it was just an extras tank. The glass is clean because I keep the glass clean.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s in a hole but looks like this:

I actually googled and I guess this has happened to somebody else: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2306792

He’s definitely not eating them he’s just like tearing at them. I am moving the snails to a different tank
I wasn’t questioning what you saw, just odd. From what you posted it looks like they might just go rogue. If was my tank I would just rehome the blenny. Not having cuc would just be to much more work for me. I know we get attached to our little pets.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the blenny attacks them and then the hermits get them when they’re upside down. But who knows, I did follow one of the posters advice and put the rock in an empty bucket, nothing came out of it. Another user commented something about these worms that break apart I’m going to look into that after work!
You may want to try and put a good webcam watching the tank. I have done that and am amazed at what I find sometimes. It is a different world in my tank when moonlight is full cycle, and I watch it via the webcam. All kinds of neat things come out of the rocks at night that I didn't know I had!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly I just don't think it likely that a combtooth blenny would be able to take down most healthy snails especially since it doesn't have the teeth necessary to consume one. Where were the Nas snails living before when the tank was bare bottom since they're sand borrowers? Did they live in the rock?

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just your Nas snails dying off? And my point still stands I don't think they're getting enough food
They’re the only snails in this tank besides one turbo snail. There’s seahorses in this tank who eat frozen so the amount of food at the bottom is enough to sustain a few snails. The tank might just have life rock and Xenia now but I just moved these corals out and into my main:

Attachments

• 53FAE0CB-4D60-42F6-B84F-4A662D6F9E67.png
    53FAE0CB-4D60-42F6-B84F-4A662D6F9E67.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trust me, there is enough nutrients in the tank. There is definitely something killing the snails I’ve had reef tanks since I was like 14 years old @ricksre
My question makes it pretty obvious that I know the issue has nothing to do with my tanks parameters or with lack of food for the snails. These corals were in this tank less than a month ago, I removed them so it’s just base rock and added some softies as I was moving smaller seahorses and a couple extras in here and these corals would sting them. The tank doesn’t have a lack of nutrients nor is it new and the base rock minus that one piece has been in there for a year. You also didn’t offer constructive criticism you put a typo in quotations, said I posted old video when I didn’t, and tried to insinuate I was stupid as if I didn’t graduate from a top university and am a scientific illustrator for 2 major publications and literally draw and document fish for a living alongside with my normal job lol. Don’t be rude on the internet it’s literally such a waste of my time to be spoken to like I’m an idiot or to make a random person asking a question about a hitchhiker stupid when I grew up on the beach and have been keeping reef tanks since I was 14

62FB1E48-6A84-4065-913E-81AD629C17C9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly I just don't think it likely that a combtooth blenny would be able to take down most healthy snails especially since it doesn't have the teeth necessary to consume one. Where were the Nas snails living before when the tank was bare bottom since they're sand borrowers? Did they live in the rock?
I just got home and I’m going to pour seltzer water on the rock or something I know there’s something in the rocks or something and the replies to this post accusing me of starving my snails are annoying me so I’ll update

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back