Is something eating my snails

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve noticed in one of my tanks, all the snails have been disappearing. All that’s left is cleared out shells. My hermits are also gone. I just got this new batch of live rock but it’s only 5 pounds of it, I feel wouldn't a predator need more room than these small holes? My fish are all okay but I notice they don’t go down towards the rock very often. How do I catch it?

Thank you

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you got a free mantis shrimp...i did and had a heap of snail shells near his hole
Aren’t they kind of large? There is only really small holes in this rock. Also I need to get him out if he’s there because there’s seahorses in this tank

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• F8D278A9-4A5A-42B4-8259-7E288DA79465.png
    F8D278A9-4A5A-42B4-8259-7E288DA79465.png
    440.4 KB · Views: 62

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks rather new. I don't know how many snails you added, but beginner have tendency to buy too much clean up crew for a sterile tank.

I just start with a couple of snails, and I add them only when I see the first algae, and then I increase the number as the algae and fish population increases.

Last edited:

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A really sneaky and extremely good at hiding predator for snails, even hermits, is a leopard polyclad flatworm. I've had a couple of these and they will take out a whole cuc. And they can hide in the smallest of holes. Give it a Google to familiarize yourself, so if you happen to spot one you'll know.

Rough part is they are hard to catch. They break up easily into pieces, so grabbing it is out of the question. Usually siphoning it out or removing the rock that it's in and waiting till it comes out. Not a fun time, but it's possible with Patience.

Not saying that's what you have, just a possibility.

Good luck!

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks rather new. I don't know how many snails you added, but beginner have tendency to buy too much clean up crew for a sterile tank.

I just start with a couple of snails, and I add them only when I see the first algae, and then I increase the number as the algae and fish population increases.
This tank is a year old but the piece of rock is new

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

most of these snails have been in here for 7-8 months. It’s pretty algae free so I give them wafers. There’s only soft corals in this tank on the other side it’s kinda just an extras tank

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve noticed in one of my tanks, all the snails have been disappearing. All that’s left is cleared out shells. My hermits are also gone. I just got this new batch of live rock but it’s only 5 pounds of it, I feel wouldn't a predator need more room than these small holes? My fish are all okay but I notice they don’t go down towards the rock very often. How do I catch it?

Thank you
How do you catch what?.. did you see something.... obviously.
Just add more snails and crabs, see if 'it' can be caught or grown :) :)

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a year old but the piece of rock is new
Here's my video I took when I was trying for an id.

Most of my rock in that tank was dry rock, only a couple small pieces from an lfs. They can hide in terribly small spots. I ended up nabbing this one when he encased a hermit crab while on the sand bed so they was no rock to retreat into.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 mantis mantis shrimp hidden in my TBS rock. They are small, but one killed my goby, before I figured it out. Try bottle trap.

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a weird update but today I watched the tank for a bit as I fed it and this random blenny I have came out of his holes as the snails came out from under the sand to get food and start attacking one. I was actually in shock. He attacked it like flung it until it turned over and then continued to mercilessly attack it? Like ripping at it. I am not sure what kind of blenny he is, he’s black with a yellow tail. I got him for free off Craigslist. Just now I’m literally watching and he’s attacking another one. Don’t know what kind of behavior that is or if I have the wrong fish ID. I assume the couple of hermits left go after the snails when they’re like that.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stil confused of what you actually see in 'your aquriam'

It's very vague description and videos are old?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back