Is something eating my zoas?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had these zoas for over a year. Started with maybe 4 polyps which increased to 20 or so in about 6 months. I moved my tank to the living room in January, changed lighting, and wiped out a number of zoas from different colonies from running the lights too high. I corrected the lighting a couple months ago, at which point I moved the pictured zoas into a newly set up pico tank, under very dim lighting. They seem to be recovering, as the ones I left in my main tank continued withering away until they were gone. All other zoa colonies seem to be doing fine BUT I am worried if there is something that is actually eating these zoas it won't be long until they find said colonies. Any ideas what could be causing them to look like this??

20210521_211229.jpg 20210521_211310.jpg 20210521_214019.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these zoas for over a year. Started with maybe 4 polyps which increased to 20 or so in about 6 months. I moved my tank to the living room in January, changed lighting, and wiped out a number of zoas from different colonies from running the lights too high. I corrected the lighting a couple months ago, at which point I moved the pictured zoas into a newly set up pico tank, under very dim lighting. They seem to be recovering, as the ones I left in my main tank continued withering away until they were gone. All other zoa colonies seem to be doing fine BUT I am worried if there is something that is actually eating these zoas it won't be long until they find said colonies. Any ideas what could be causing them to look like this??

20210521_211229.jpg 20210521_211310.jpg 20210521_214019.jpg

I would frag them onto a clean plug or clean rubble, most zoas ime don't like coraline algae.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would frag them onto a clean plug or clean rubble, most zoas ime don't like coraline algae.
Hmm. Well I have no idea how I would go about that seeing as how they have been on that plug for over a year...I couldn't imagine i could remove them without tearing the tissue. Maybe a h2o2 dip? The zoas can handle it and the coraline definitely can't. I may give this a shot.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back