0   0   0
My 125gal reef tank!
Im new so bear with me
My temp is at 81
My ph is about 8.2
My phosphates are at 0.06 ppm
My nitrates are at 1.5 ppm
My alkalinity is a bit high so is my calcium and magnesium
They are comming down slowly i accidently misread the tests and overdosed. I have 2 inch by inch mats of green star polyps to cover the overflow walls eventually. I have a lawnmower blenny, striped chinese goby, skunk shrimp, diamond watchman goby, Emerald crab and about 5 small hermits.
The coraline is spreading like crazy! But hasnt touched my glass at all. What im worried about is the green hair algea is growing really quick too in certain places in my tank like right where the water flows into the overflow im just worried somthing is wrong since my nitrates and phosphates are so low is there somthing else causing the green hair??

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one rock. And then the over flow slots there there is 2 overflows and they both look like that.

15742099637012512665035069193516.jpg 15742099900076677724831183888175.jpg

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not horrible, but its some, so it could be eating some of the values.
Also will green hair grow over my coraline algea cause soon the coraline will have all my rocks covered i went from 1 little splotch of coraline to all 120lbs or so having 25% coverage in 4 weeks

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also will green hair grow over my coraline algea cause soon the coraline will have all my rocks covered i went from 1 little splotch of coraline to all 120lbs or so having 25% coverage in 4 weeks
Im not an algae expert, but id assume its possible. Wow thats some serious coraline growth!

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an algae expert, but id assume its possible. Wow thats some serious coraline growth!
Yea i wasn't expecting it to grow so quick my lfs was pretty suprised this is about 1/3 of my tank 4 weeks ago i had about 1 square inch of coraline. The dark red is coraline not cyano i checked that thoroughly lol

20191119_184424.jpg

dunc101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always take the rock out and spray it with some hydrogen peroxide since it looks like it's really easy to get to with no corals on it. I've done that quite a few times over the years. Let it sit for a 5 to 10 minutes, give it a quick rinse in some used tank water and put back in. In a couple of days the GHA on that rock will be gone. Note that the peroxide will kill any coralline as well but I find it well worth it as coralline spreads pretty quickly. Your tank seems pretty young so GHA is typical at this stage in a tanks lifecycle.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always take the rock out and spray it with some hydrogen peroxide since it looks like it's really easy to get to with no corals on it. I've done that quite a few times over the years. Let it sit for a 5 to 10 minutes, give it a quick rinse in some used tank water and put back in. In a couple of days the GHA on that rock will be gone. Note that the peroxide will kill any coralline as well but I find it well worth it as coralline spreads pretty quickly. Your tank seems pretty young so GHA is typical at this stage in a tanks lifecycle.
intresting thanks alot i might try that with that one rock. My lawnmower blenny boycotts that one rock for some reason is there any fish i could put in that would eat it other then the blenny? I was mainly worried i had somthing really wrong with the chemistry but you say its normal for a new tank my tank is about 2 and a half months old

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been up and running? Rocks look new.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intresting thanks alot i might try that with that one rock. My lawnmower blenny boycotts that one rock for some reason is there any fish i could put in that would eat it other then the blenny? I was mainly worried i had somthing really wrong with the chemistry but you say its normal for a new tank my tank is about 2 and a half months old

Sorry you answered my question.

Tank is very young and nuisance algaes will happen during this time. Normal.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you answered my question.

Tank is very young and nuisance algaes will happen during this time. Normal.
The rock was actually old and covered with algea and nastiness the tank was disgusting i hand scrubbed each rock with a metal brush to make them clean again he had it sitting there with the lights cycling all his fish died and he didn't remove them just let the whole tank rot pretty much

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock was actually old and covered with algea and nastiness the tank was disgusting i hand scrubbed each rock with a metal brush to make them clean again he had it sitting there with the lights cycling all his fish died and he didn't remove them just let the whole tank rot pretty much

If it's only been two months since you set it up/reboot, it will go through some stages of nuisance algaes. Rock may have absorbed some phosphate from the neglect from before.

What lights are you using? How long on?

Keep your water parameters stable and up on your husbandry/water changes and it will settle in time.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only been two months since you set it up/reboot, it will go through some stages of nuisance algaes. Rock may have absorbed some phosphate from the neglect from before.

Keep your water parameters stable and up on your husbandry/water changes and it will settle in time.
MarineLED or somthing like that 1 hour blue before whites whites for 8 hours then blues for an hour after

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great IMO. Keep doing what you are doing. If the gha bothers you, I would manually remove it and/or beef up the cuc. I’m not a fan of chemical algae removal methods, but a quarantined yellow tang and some snails would be on my short list.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 of these each is 3 foot long i have a 6 foot tank

157421371496072859308908559550.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also up your mag to eliminate GHA. I was instructed to use Kents Tech M and upped my mag to 1500 and worked like a charm. I've heard others say upping mag didn't help, but I think it's something in Tech M that killed my GHA.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also up your mag to eliminate GHA. I was instructed to use Kents Tech M and upped my mag to 1500 and worked like a charm. I've heard others say upping mag didn't help, but I think it's something in Tech M that killed my GHA.
Ok so new problem maybe i did more digging on that red coraline you can see in the picture it doesnt scrub off with tooth brush even when brushed vigorously. So i know its not cyano but is red turf algea soft to the point where vigorously scrubbing with tooth brush should take it off??

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back