Is Spectracide 100 percent KNO3

  • Thread starter Thread starter SamsReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2011
Messages
1,815
Reaction score
2,162
Location
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello friends,

Does anyone know if spectracide stump remover is 100 percent pure potassium nitrate or if it has impurities. Has anyone used for long period of time and done Triton test to see if any unwanted elements are accumulating. Appreciate the input.

Sam
 
FWIW, it is easy to buy food grade sodium or potassium nitrate, and I’d prefer that from the standpoint of quality assurance.
 
i was thinking about using it , but for a few more dollers there are kn03 made for fish tanks which seems well spent the mind set aside for a couple of dollers
 
i was thinking about using it , but for a few more dollers there are kn03 made for fish tanks which seems well spent the mind set aside for a couple of dollers

Personally, I'd get food grade since the fish companies often state no purity or grade. :)
 
I've used Spectracide in the past with no ill effects. Food grade will most definitely have higher quality control and I think Randy recommends NaNO3 to KNO3.
 
Thanks Randy for confirming. I have ordered it. Will try and update on my build thread...

From dosing perspective, I think I should be able to use the same calculations as stump remover...

8 tablespoon in 1 gallon and dose around 20 ml for 1 PPM increase in 400 gallon. It’s not exact but a rough calculation. Thoughts?

Sam
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new