Is T5 lighting going away?

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've been reading the forums this year, I've noticed a few comments about T5 lights that seem to suggest that they are going to be unavailable at some point in the near-ish future. The tone of the comment is usually very 'matter of fact', as if it's well known information. I also haven't seen anyone really question the idea when it comes up in a thread. To me, this makes it feel like the community also generally accepts that it's likely to happen.

To be clear, I'm not saying that this prediction is wrong. I would like to understand why it seems so prevalent, and why people seem so sure of it. I personally haven't seen any indication that T5 for aquarium purposes is going away anytime soon. So, what is the available information that I'm missing? Have there been any statements from manufacturers, vendors, or politicians or anyone in any position of power that can provide support for (or evidence against) this idea?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you will see t5 go away. In many peoples opinions, t5 still provides the best total coverage of all the options. To others, its just supplemental. But if they went away then you'd be stuck supplementing with more LEDs.

I personally had the best success when I had an ATI light. My only problem is having to hang them. My ceilings have enough holes from moving and replacing tanks lol

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the issue (at least initially) will be the bulb manufacturing (I think the fixtures will stick around for the pot industry if nothing else haha), but will the reef specific bulbs sell well enough for companies to keep making them. I hope so, but time will tell.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been saying t5 bulbs will eventually not be available but as mentioned above they provide the best light for reefs , as well as growing .
I personally have never used anything other than t5’s for my tanks but having a little issue now with a 27” deep tank
I have read t5’s are only good up to 24”

Upvote 0

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all boils down to supply and demand. AKA "Money". If demand is high enough, they will keep making them. Heck. MH bulbs are still being made. Not as many places to buy or choices, but they are still making them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all boils down to supply and demand. AKA "Money". If demand is high enough, they will keep making them. Heck. MH bulbs are still being made. Not as many places to buy or choices, but they are still making them
I definitely still see a lot of love for T5s here on the forums. Especially as fill lights in hybrid setups. I can't imagine that demand for them just going away unless the government banned them or something.

It is starting to seem like this attitude of impending doom for fluorescent bulbs might be pure speculation with no substance.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back