Is the best ato for a nano tank.......

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just me being diligent about topping off my tank? I have been looking into an ato for my 29 gallon tank and I can’t seem to find an ato that fits my requirements. I really like the tunze 3155 because it has built in fail safes to keep the tank from overflowing but I have read that it might not be the best ato for a nano because of how fast it will fill the tank and that can cause problems. I really don’t see a nano ato that has built in backups to keep me from having a wet carpet issue if the original sensor goes bad. Any suggestions or should I just keep toping off by hand? My biggest concern is if I am gone for a week but I guess I can always put in a bit of extra water or have someone come in and top off the tank while I am gone.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Tunze 3155 on my aquatop 24gal AIO nano no problem.

interesting. Iwas reading that some people had issues on smaller tanks because the pump was moving water to quick. How much space is needed between the water level and the top of the unit? I have rim on my tank and am curious to knowwhere my water level would be at with the 3155.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the BRS DIY ATO with the aqualiter pump

While I do have a 29gal. I did eventually add a sump which is where I placed the ATO float switches and water line, but I see no issues in my DT. Any float switches will take space and you'll need to decide who high you want your water level. The BRS DIY also has the second float switch higher up as a back up to prevent overflow. The aqualifer is 3.5 gph.

I didnt like the BRS plastic float switch holder, so I fabricated my own with egg crate after the stock one started to crack.

As for as DIY skills. This is as simple as it gets

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basic 10 gallon aquarium tank from the dollar per gallon sale. I use the Tunze osmolator (take off face plate and adjust dial for a nano tank to fill at an appropriate rate). Seems to be the highest regarded ATO and only one with redundancy built in, especially compared to nano options. I have the probe holder as high as it can go and the water sits about 0.5-1 inch below where the rim starts on the glass when looking at it head on. Probably about 1.5-2 inches from top of tank for overflow purposes. Can always move down if you want more wiggle room. Had some quirks initially, but been running fine since.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basic 10 gallon aquarium tank from the dollar per gallon sale. I use the Tunze osmolator (take off face plate and adjust dial for a nano tank to fill at an appropriate rate). Seems to be the highest regarded ATO and only one with redundancy built in, especially compared to nano options. I have the probe holder as high as it can go and the water sits about 0.5-1 inch below where the rim starts on the glass when looking at it head on. Probably about 1.5-2 inches from top of tank for overflow purposes. Can always move down if you want more wiggle room. Had some quirks initially, but been running fine since.

If it is not too much trouble can I get a picture of the water level from head on?

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not too much trouble can I get a picture of the water level from head on?
3E7FC100-08F1-4B0C-B83A-7B5F5FBDCBD0.jpeg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just me being diligent about topping off my tank? I have been looking into an ato for my 29 gallon tank and I can’t seem to find an ato that fits my requirements. I really like the tunze 3155 because it has built in fail safes to keep the tank from overflowing but I have read that it might not be the best ato for a nano because of how fast it will fill the tank and that can cause problems. I really don’t see a nano ato that has built in backups to keep me from having a wet carpet issue if the original sensor goes bad. Any suggestions or should I just keep toping off by hand? My biggest concern is if I am gone for a week but I guess I can always put in a bit of extra water or have someone come in and top off the tank while I am gone.
The tunze 3155 actually has a controllable pump speed. You just open up the little box and there’s multiple switches. You can set pump speed, overflow alarm, and max run time.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure ato. Reliable, easy, uses float switches and will work on an upgrade down the line if you choose! A little spendy but worth it imo

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of these recommended units work with a rimmed tank? I would prefer the water level to be equal to or above the bottom of the trim so the water line isn’t visible. Seems like every option that is held on with a magnet I would need to cut off a section of plastic trim.

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remember if I can move the probe holder up higher to allow for that water level. The distances between the probe and backup is adjustable, but I can remember if just the backup or both are adjustable. Visually I can see the appeal of “hiding” the water level, but once I was setting everything up I decided that I wanted the little extra space to allow for ATO failure without overflow and also remember when working in the tank, putting anything in, or cleaning the water gets displaced and wavy so you need enough room to keep it from spilling out.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of these recommended units work with a rimmed tank? I would prefer the water level to be equal to or above the bottom of the trim so the water line isn’t visible. Seems like every option that is held on with a magnet I would need to cut off a section of plastic trim.
Yes! The tunze has a fully adjustable sensor

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! The tunze has a fully adjustable sensor

so is the rear magnet puck smaller than the unit that goes in the tank? Sorry for the questions but at the price I need to make sure itis what I am looking for. If the magnet on the outside is as big as the puck on the inside it would have to be mounted under the trim. It get that the float and eye sensor are adjustable but are they adjustable to the point of being offset over the disk they are on?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is the rear magnet puck smaller than the unit that goes in the tank? Sorry for the questions but at the price I need to make sure itis what I am looking for. If the magnet on the outside is as big as the puck on the inside it would have to be mounted under the trim. It get that the float and eye sensor are adjustable but are they adjustable to the point of being offset over the disk they are on?
Yes, there is a smaller magnet included and you could either flip the sensor over or adjust the sensor up and down. It’s a great unit!

Flavortownusa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the reefbreeders nano ato on my tank for about 18months and it has performed excellently.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back