Is the Hippo scratching or what?

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,253
Reaction score
969
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I noticed my Hippo (it's very small) what looks to me like occasionally scratching on a rock. (In the video it happens at the end.) I don't see any change in its behavior otherwise, it's active, it's eating. What do you guys think? What are we looking at here? I've seen it do this a few times and always on the same rock, which is right next to where it always hangs out.

 
Today I noticed my Hippo (it's very small) what looks to me like occasionally scratching on a rock. (In the video it happens at the end.) I don't see any change in its behavior otherwise, it's active, it's eating. What do you guys think? What are we looking at here? I've seen it do this a few times and always on the same rock, which is right next to where it always hangs out.



It’s scratching and also breathing a bit fast, could be gill flukes. Sometimes, this behavior is due to some material getting stuck on a gill filament, or if there is detritus in the water due to tank cleaning. If it persists for a few days in a row, it is probably a good idea to treat it for gill flukes. Praziquantel can be used for that:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-praziquantel-pzq.1105700/
 
Also to clarify, the dosing on the attached article is 2.2-2.5 mg per LITER, not gallon?

And do we include the sump in water calculation?
 
Today I noticed my Hippo (it's very small) what looks to me like occasionally scratching on a rock. (In the video it happens at the end.) I don't see any change in its behavior otherwise, it's active, it's eating. What do you guys think? What are we looking at here? I've seen it do this a few times and always on the same rock, which is right next to where it always hangs out.


cAN BE FLUKES OR SKIN IRRITATION WHICH THEY ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO. OFTEN WITH IRRITATIONS, OTHER FISH WILL SHOW NO SIGNS
 
Also to clarify, the dosing on the attached article is 2.2-2.5 mg per LITER, not gallon?

And do we include the sump in water calculation?

Yes, 2.2 mg/l which is essentially ppm

Yes, include the volume of the sump, but deduct the amount displaced by any wrecks in the tank. If you don’t know the true net volume, use 85% of the rated volume.
 
Without any symptoms, he looks like he’s trying to show others that the territory is his.

Notice the “shake” is when someone else is close.

Mine does a similar action each time a newbie is added.

But always good to be ready, in case things go south.
 
Without any symptoms, he looks like he’s trying to show others that the territory is his.

Notice the “shake” is when someone else is close.

Mine does a similar action each time a newbie is added.

But always good to be ready, in case things go south.
Fingers crossed he's just showing off!
 
Fingers crossed he's just showing off!
Alot of the time flukes aren't super high stakes. Yes, treat them, but many fish never even show symptoms and have them for a long time. I wouldnt fret about the delivery time. Just monitor and trust when it arrives 😬
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new