Is the Local Fish Store more or less important today?

How important is the local fish store TODAY for the saltwater aquarium hobby? (explain please)

• is more important

Votes: 114 53.3%
  • is less imporatnt

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • not less or not more important than any other time

Votes: 42 19.6%

• Total voters

BillyN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old fashion in some regard - like to see some things in person before buying - animals being in that category. So IMO LFS is not more or less important.

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted more important. I have seen quite a few really nice stores close in the towns around me. Personally, I haven't bought any fish or corals online yet. The selection is fantastic but the shipping is understandably high. I'm older and on a fixed income. Also, I don't know anybody to form a group buy. Somebody posted above that less people would get into the hobby if there weren't any stores and I believe that too. Over the years I have "dragged" my wife and kids into a lot of stores that it became sort of an inside joke; but for me it was like visiting a museum. We have a Petco here but it's pretty pathetic. That's really sad about Drs. F&S. They were one of the first places I bought equipment online.

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family has owned aquarium stores since I was a child (I have never worked in them, only handled the monies side of the business), so I am definitely sensitive to the business side of LFS vs. online retailer/big box stores. I have thought about this a lot, so this is kind of a long one. Whether or not the LFS matters is completely up to you, the customer. When you consider what goes into keeping the doors open, things start to make a lot more sense when we are comparing online retailers vs. the shop down the street.

In the fresh water world, Petco, Petsmart, and to a lesser degree Walmart, all serve as threats to the LFS economy. In the marine world, not so much. It's online retailers that we/they struggle with. Little not-so-secret, the markup on hard goods and equipment is not that high. That's why you don't see blow out 40% off sales every weekend like you do on fish and soft goods. So when we look at all of the "staple" hard goods that people use like Kessils, AI Primes, IM Tanks, Reef Octopus, etc. it becomes very hard for a LFS to stock all of that in the hopes that they will carry exactly what you are looking for when you walk in the door. It's not like they can sell a pair of Kessil's and be good for the day. You paid $800 sure, but they make maybe $100 bucks on that sale. Instead, you will find that many LFS's stock a very small number of these big name brands, and then go big on Chinese/Korean brands that carry larger margins. Consider that prices in a LFS are easily checked online, and aquarium hobbyists are nothing if not patient. If we price too high on an item they absolutely want, the customer will just order on Amazon or from BRS, etc. On top of this, they have a limited "dependable" customer base of the surrounding area, and limited shelf space to take their best guess at what people want. What they do carry, has to priced in such a way to sustain the business (consider rent, AC, electricity, payroll, etc.), and in the event that it does not sell before the next order is put in to the whole seller, we would consider that a loss. What that means is if the item had sold, that shelf space could be cycled with a new product to generate more revenue. By not selling, we don't have that opportunity, so we consider it a loss for the time being. These big online stores like BRS and MarineDepot have solved that problem by utilizing expansive, efficient supply chains, and warehouse space that does not need to meet the same (read: expensive) criteria that a LFS is subject to. The LFS needs to be in a high traffic area, in a part of town that can support the expensive hobby, and then needs to work out local marketing to drive traffic through their doors. This is made easier with social media, sure, but it's not the same as having a fully functioning website where customers can order as soon as they hit the site. So right off the bat, we see that hard goods and aquariums themselves are not going to keep a LFS open and running.

Now we look at the live stock. What ultimately gets people in the door. What the LFS has going for it, is the customer gains immediate satisfaction once they purchase their livestock from the LFS. No waiting, no hoping it arrives healthy, no having to take off from work. This is a good thing, because livestock is how a LFS makes money. Ever notice how Neon Tetra's and Clown Fish can vary wildly in price from one store to the next? They all come from a handful of distributors, let's establish that now. So why the arbitrary pricing? Because the LFS has to get ahead somewhere. We sell Neon Tetra's 5 for $5, always have and always will (assuming wholesale price allows), while the store near my house sells them for $2.99 each! My family is relying on selling a BUNCH of this staple fish that bring you in the door to consider our more profitable fish, and then reordering them twice a week (along with mollies, guppies, marine CUC, etc), while the store near my house has low walk in volume so must price them higher to account for what we talked about before, the expected loss. Factors to consider here are cost to feed, house, medicate, cost of dead fish, etc. Nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary. Just important to note that if we buy a fish for $.50 and sell for $1.00 we don't make $.50 profit, there is the overhead monster to be paid my friends. Corals however are a different story. Typically what makes a store "famous" in a city is the coral selection, and this is where things get expensive for us local guys. On paper, the dollars spent on coral tank setup, maintenance, and ops makes me crazy. Special lights, constantly pulling consumables off of the shelf for store use, medicating and "fixing" corals that arrive sick... the list goes on. If we look at this from a purely financial perspective, selling corals for the first maybe 3-4 months is a zero sum game. The cost of getting those tanks up and cycled to a point where they can support healthy corals is absolutely frustrating. So when I see that WWC is expanding, I know they are doing really well (And I am happy for them don't get me wrong! They have great stuff). So we have the coral tanks up, and we have secured some nice pieces to sell. Customers come and buy, money is flowing, things are going quite well. It's the 12th and already we hit our monthly break even point. But... a few customers are coming back saying the corals died a few days after buying them. Like almost all stores, we have a no refund policy on corals and certain fish (I imagine we all know why), but these people dropped a few hundred each so we can't just point to the sign and be done. We have to (and usually enjoy) coaching on nutrient management, flow, lighting, etc. However something every LFS owner shares is the frustration with a customer who insist that everything in his/her tank is perfect. You know what, it probably is, but this specific tang or acro just didn't like the .0001 salinity change it went through. Maybe you didn't drip acclimate long enough. Maybe you have a coral polyp stuck in a weird place that is releasing toxins... who knows. We as the owner have to figure out a way to soothe the customer, so that they do not walk out blasting us on social media. This is where things get frustrating very quickly. After everything you just read, it is very hard to tell someone, "Hey, I'll refund you the $500 for the coral that was healthy and thriving when it left my store." This is also where it is important to keep me, the finance guy, out of the store. If there is one thing I wish everyone could understand, it's that nobody opens a LFS for Ferrari buying profit. It's just not a good idea. These are hobbyists behind the counter. Passionate, invested, well-versed hobbyists just like you. They found a way to do what they love for a living. That's it. End of story. We cannot treat the LFS like a Walmart or Target where we expect the owner to make it right financially every time we have a problem. Opening a huge operation like BRS is an entirely different story. Those guys are in it to win it (as they should be, I love BRS and shop there myself from time to time).

You see, the big guys have the buying power to secure shipping rights to things like bulk heads, pumps, lights, etc. That means that every bulk head that comes onto US shores from let's say China, somebody in the industry is managing that supply chain and making money off of it. Furthermore, once/if they have enough selling volume, they can extend distribution deals to companies like Innovate Marine to showcase their tanks on the website, things like that. What I am saying is we go from a moms and pops every sale is a basic transaction LFS, to a big boy let's get into the economics side of maximizing profits large operation. I think Corey from Aquarium Co-Op is a very interesting study into the finances of being successful in the aquarium hobby. He went from small LFS to major online retailer and talks about the journey very openly.

This a bit of me just recording my internal dialogue, but there is a point to it. The local LFS is only as important as you want it to be. You can buy EVERYTHING online, and probably get it cheaper while you are at it. What you gain at the LFS is the ability to put your hands and eyes on everything you buy, as well as the opportunity to pick someones brain (assuming you can trust your LFS). Consider the day to day challenges the LFS faces to keep the lights on, and then consider what your purchase means to that shop owner. I recently made a large African cichlid purchase at my LFS and the guy let slip, "People have been window shopping all afternoon, I knew someone would come save the day." He was immediately embarrassed I think, but the guy works very hard and is profoundly honest in his advice so I didn't mind the statement. His passion for the hobby is what fuels so much of what we enjoy and his willingness to spend time with people he knows will not buy a thing is exactly what we need. So from one hobbyist to another, we truly and absolutely appreciate your business. If you are looking at something on Amazon, its worth asking if we can get it for the same price at the very least, and if you buy eeeeverything else online... please come check out our livestock!

Side note: I want to enforce that I am not attacking big sites like BRS, Marine Depot, and Aquarim Co-op. Those guys have great customer service, return policies, and selection. We are however all fishing from the same pond, so while we may not be directly going at each other, business is business. I wish those guys the best.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I moved I only used LFS, had lots of them around, good place to trade old equipment, fish, frags or even whole colonies for new stuff. Now that I moved and the closest one is over 250 miles away I really miss them. Almost everything is now purchased on line. The problem with live stock on line is everything is delivered at end of day sometimes as late as 8:30 pm long time on delivery truck. Shipping cost is high if you are only buying a single fish or one or two frags. When I visit family I will stop by a couple of LFS on my way home and maybe get something maybe not. Better in my temp controlled car for 4-5 hours than on UPS truck for 8+ hours.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted with the majority. More important. However !
In my area there are the big box stores and two small LFS stores. None of them carry anything a Reefer actually needs. The one LFS is actually a reef store. Return pumps, lights, power heads, are far and few between, if ever on the shelf. So if an item is needed to be replaced in an emergency, well that's not gona happen. So I agree with the other poster on this thread, must have back ups of key parts on hand.

Along with slightly higher costs it takes longer for the LFS to get the products when you order through them VS online.
They need to compile customer orders up before they can afford to place their order or only place orders once or twice a month.

Another online ordering benefit for me until this year anyway has been no sales tax. Saved me another 8% in the past.

Shipping fees well, now a days if you pay for shipping above the cost of your products anywhere your doing something wrong. We all should know by now that free shipping is just a sales pitch, and that the shipping cost has been built into the product price. Funny how some people do not understand this.

MY dollars (Every one of them virtual being, time, or actual being the dollar) are extremely important to me.

So honestly common sense guides me to know that if I have to order something, then I am going to do it online, it will save me a couple of bucks and I will get it faster. This is also not the LFS fault, just business.

When it comes to livestock though I don't know if I will order online.
Though I am still setting my tank up and not ready yet, I just don't like the idea.
I want to see the livestock in action, choose the size and color, that is as long as I have the option anyway.

And for that reason alone the LFS is of the most importance.
So that's my two cents worth.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the LFS is still important its the place that most of us reef keepers always meet up.I order all my equipment online but life stock I buy in my LFS.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly it's less important, I desperately try to support my lfs, I have a few; but sadly continue to get burned by sick overpriced fish and corals, pests and really bad advice. This picture is not what I found when I started in the hobby, and every once in a while, a lfs comes around with the promise of old school ethics, and sadly it doesn't take to long for them to fail. I know it has to do with making a living, I know it's not cheap for them either. So I still do try and support them when I can, when it doesn't cost me much more and I find something worth the risk.

Sadly(I know I keep saying sadly), online sources usually don;t prove any better; sick, sick, sick, it's tough today to get anything that isn't sick. I feel bad for the lfs knowing they can't compete with the online vendors for equipment, so I will pay the lfs a little extra when I can. I believe we do still need the lfs for the sake of the hobby, but they have to step it up. We all have the internet, there is no reason if that's their business, they can at least bone up and know what they are talking about. I understand overhead, so there I'm not sure what can be done, it's like a conspiracy to put all brick and mortar out of business.

It's still something enjoyable about visiting the lfs, talking reef for a moment, sharing some pics, and being able to see things in person. So let's save the lfs, but remind them, they need to help.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs in my opinion is Extremely important! I do buy some stuff online, but I always make sure I help support lfs as much as I can. It’s not an easy business at all and needs Loyal patrons to help keep afloat. Not to mention they r always there when you need some help. Without the Lfs this hobby would be far less appealing to me. I’m big on supporting small local business in whole. Without them communities lack that hometown vibe that makes them whole.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good store 30 min from me, they are upgrading buildings feb 1 which will be nice.

I got this nice slimer yesterday for $50
0662c3faf5158a5fece4a814ce79d8c0.jpg

They grow all their own frags so I got to watch it grow from a frag before I pulled the trigger

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one major problem to supporting your local fish store is the store itself. It's hard to be supportive when the one 'good' store in your area has diseased/dead fish, uninterested sales people ect. I recently made a trip to a store here in NYC that everyone raved about and frankly I thought it was terrible. I even inquired about having a tank built and they took my information and never contacted me. So, yeah, its great to be supportive, but it's also complicated.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For us the LFS is a distance away. So with the distance a factor, I buy most of my supply’s online. However the LFS is ultra important for my inverts and fish. I like to see what I’m adding to our delicate eco system. With that said, local is subjective. When I’m ready to add several hundred $ of coral, a 3 hour drive is nothing for a larger selection and helpful staff. In conclusion, the LFS is not so local and our trip is planned ahead for best results.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted more important for several reasons. The LFS has been on the frontlines for recruiting people into the hobby (including myself) by giving places that aren't big enough for public aquariums a place to see these fascinating creatures and even the places that do, it shows you what you could reasonably accomplish at home.

Then theres the personalization. I'm on a first name basis at all four of my local stores (even though I work at two of them now, I was still "James" before that) and that in itself is something I really like. I'm not a number or an account, I'm an actual person. It's also just refreshing to talk to someone thats excited about the hobby and helping you succeed that just isn't translated through the keyboard. Don't get me wrong, forums like this are extremely beneficial but if given the choice I would always prefer to talk to someone in person.

Lastly it gives you a chance to actually work there. I volunteered at a store for 5 years and once I was old enough they hired me for the remaining 3 years that they were open. I learned so much there not only about the animals we kept and sold but about the hobby, the people within it and how to find common ground with almost anybody I meet which is something I think is of more and more importance everyday. I know work at to of my local fish stores, I was hired by my old boss at his own new store when he opened a year ago and was hired by a second one solely by my handful of dealings with them and my reputation.

I do still shop online occasionally but even then I try to support someone else LFS that happens to ship as well. I do my best to spread my business amongst all the LFS's around me because to me we're not competing with one another, were competing with big box stores and are all working together in that way. If one of the stores I work at doesn't have something they want I tell them about the other one that does, I have always found that honesty brings customers back more than making them wait a month for us to receive what they ordered when they could drive another 15 minutes and get it the same day.

Over all I think meeting and talking to people, seeing the animals and tanks in person and that personal touch is always going to have a place in our hobby.

Its a fantastic question to ask and very interesting to see how everyone feels about this either way!

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the LFS are important and I wish we had more here in Vancouver, but we don't have the same level of online ordering options especially for fish like the US has, so 100% of my livestock comes from LFS, without the stores I would leave the hobby.

I buy 90% of my hardware at one store who also sells online and has good prices, and the other 10% between other local stores.

I also like to view and observe any fish I buy, I don't like the idea of buying a fish without seeing it and observing it. Never lost a fish yet buying local.

Last edited:

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say Ive been too impressed with some of the LFS in the area, however one in particular saved the day this past weekend when I cracked one of my tanks. They had a near identical replacement that got me up and running in no time. Had I not been visiting stores on a regular basis I wouldn't have even known where to go. What I have also been finding is that through social media there are a lot of people local who sell frags online and at frag swaps that I didn't even know existed.

Personally, I think some of the stores in the area need to get with the times, and start investing in online sales and services. In the chicagoland area, we have a lot of frag swaps, and have been getting some major shows. There are also at least 1 fairly large importer that only seems to be selling to retail, and considering the stuff I see them posting and how incredible it looks, Im a bit shocked that the local stores don't seem to stock better stuff. With that said, there are some that appear to be doing this. Ive seen some newly successful ones who are hustling to make frag swaps, run facebook sales, and even offer shipping. Initially I was hesitant, because some of the frag pictures they posted were pretty crummy, but over time they got a little better with the camera - mostly just higher resolution images, and I can tell their business has been doing better. So learning how to market your self is a huge thing. My closest store is 30 minutes away, so it's nice to know what they have available before I head out to visit.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say it is every bit as important now as it was back 25 years ago or so when I started in saltwater. Of course, I am spoiled being here in San Diego we have lots of great places to go. Its nice to be able to walk into a store like AquaSD and hand pick what I would like. Or into Vets Pets and see notes on the tanks of when the livestock came in, see how it is doing, and see it eat if you ask Chris to show you. They all have their strong points and they all have good people working there that are happy to talk to you about a livestock recommendation or solving an issue that you have with a tank. I value the face to face quite a lot.

The reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically stocked my 160 gal reef tank with fish and coral from LiveAquaria. I have placed 35 orders and only had 1 issue and that was a cleaner shrimp that was DOA. Otherwise I have not had a sick or low quality fish or coral from them. Now the LFS I did use on a old tank caused issues right out of the box. With ICH and Velvet. So right there was another 3 month delay. (No I did not qt the first two fish that were added to the tank) I never had a fish get sick in qt from live aquaria. The other thing is when you over hear a employee setting a new hobbyists up for failure after having them spend 1000 or more on a new set up.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one major problem to supporting your local fish store is the store itself. It's hard to be supportive when the one 'good' store in your area has diseased/dead fish, uninterested sales people ect. I recently made a trip to a store here in NYC that everyone raved about and frankly I thought it was terrible. I even inquired about having a tank built and they took my information and never contacted me. So, yeah, its great to be supportive, but it's also complicated.
I was visiting Fountain Valley California about 3 months ago went into tongs tropical fish. I waited waited and ask for help and salesperson said they be with me soon and I still waited and waited and waited and just left. I have to mention the store so people know what to watch out for. another one in Rancho Cucamonga their name outside of the store is tropical Reef coral and fish the coral and fish is in red neon,on the Google site they're named something different very odd. I've been to many stores in the past 40 years and this store is the worst for customer service I will never step in there again.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family has owned aquarium stores since I was a child (I have never worked in them, only handled the monies side of the business), so I am definitely sensitive to the business side of LFS vs. online retailer/big box stores. I have thought about this a lot, so this is kind of a long one. Whether or not the LFS matters is completely up to you, the customer. When you consider what goes into keeping the doors open, things start to make a lot more sense when we are comparing online retailers vs. the shop down the street.

In the fresh water world, Petco, Petsmart, and to a lesser degree Walmart, all serve as threats to the LFS economy. In the marine world, not so much. It's online retailers that we/they struggle with. Little not-so-secret, the markup on hard goods and equipment is not that high. That's why you don't see blow out 40% off sales every weekend like you do on fish and soft goods. So when we look at all of the "staple" hard goods that people use like Kessils, AI Primes, IM Tanks, Reef Octopus, etc. it becomes very hard for a LFS to stock all of that in the hopes that they will carry exactly what you are looking for when you walk in the door. It's not like they can sell a pair of Kessil's and be good for the day. You paid $800 sure, but they make maybe $100 bucks on that sale. Instead, you will find that many LFS's stock a very small number of these big name brands, and then go big on Chinese/Korean brands that carry larger margins. Consider that prices in a LFS are easily checked online, and aquarium hobbyists are nothing if not patient. If we price too high on an item they absolutely want, the customer will just order on Amazon or from BRS, etc. On top of this, they have a limited "dependable" customer base of the surrounding area, and limited shelf space to take their best guess at what people want. What they do carry, has to priced in such a way to sustain the business (consider rent, AC, electricity, payroll, etc.), and in the event that it does not sell before the next order is put in to the whole seller, we would consider that a loss. What that means is if the item had sold, that shelf space could be cycled with a new product to generate more revenue. By not selling, we don't have that opportunity, so we consider it a loss for the time being. These big online stores like BRS and MarineDepot have solved that problem by utilizing expansive, efficient supply chains, and warehouse space that does not need to meet the same (read: expensive) criteria that a LFS is subject to. The LFS needs to be in a high traffic area, in a part of town that can support the expensive hobby, and then needs to work out local marketing to drive traffic through their doors. This is made easier with social media, sure, but it's not the same as having a fully functioning website where customers can order as soon as they hit the site. So right off the bat, we see that hard goods and aquariums themselves are not going to keep a LFS open and running.

Now we look at the live stock. What ultimately gets people in the door. What the LFS has going for it, is the customer gains immediate satisfaction once they purchase their livestock from the LFS. No waiting, no hoping it arrives healthy, no having to take off from work. This is a good thing, because livestock is how a LFS makes money. Ever notice how Neon Tetra's and Clown Fish can vary wildly in price from one store to the next? They all come from a handful of distributors, let's establish that now. So why the arbitrary pricing? Because the LFS has to get ahead somewhere. We sell Neon Tetra's 5 for $5, always have and always will (assuming wholesale price allows), while the store near my house sells them for $2.99 each! My family is relying on selling a BUNCH of this staple fish that bring you in the door to consider our more profitable fish, and then reordering them twice a week (along with mollies, guppies, marine CUC, etc), while the store near my house has low walk in volume so must price them higher to account for what we talked about before, the expected loss. Factors to consider here are cost to feed, house, medicate, cost of dead fish, etc. Nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary. Just important to note that if we buy a fish for $.50 and sell for $1.00 we don't make $.50 profit, there is the overhead monster to be paid my friends. Corals however are a different story. Typically what makes a store "famous" in a city is the coral selection, and this is where things get expensive for us local guys. On paper, the dollars spent on coral tank setup, maintenance, and ops makes me crazy. Special lights, constantly pulling consumables off of the shelf for store use, medicating and "fixing" corals that arrive sick... the list goes on. If we look at this from a purely financial perspective, selling corals for the first maybe 3-4 months is a zero sum game. The cost of getting those tanks up and cycled to a point where they can support healthy corals is absolutely frustrating. So when I see that WWC is expanding, I know they are doing really well (And I am happy for them don't get me wrong! They have great stuff). So we have the coral tanks up, and we have secured some nice pieces to sell. Customers come and buy, money is flowing, things are going quite well. It's the 12th and already we hit our monthly break even point. But... a few customers are coming back saying the corals died a few days after buying them. Like almost all stores, we have a no refund policy on corals and certain fish (I imagine we all know why), but these people dropped a few hundred each so we can't just point to the sign and be done. We have to (and usually enjoy) coaching on nutrient management, flow, lighting, etc. However something every LFS owner shares is the frustration with a customer who insist that everything in his/her tank is perfect. You know what, it probably is, but this specific tang or acro just didn't like the .0001 salinity change it went through. Maybe you didn't drip acclimate long enough. Maybe you have a coral polyp stuck in a weird place that is releasing toxins... who knows. We as the owner have to figure out a way to soothe the customer, so that they do not walk out blasting us on social media. This is where things get frustrating very quickly. After everything you just read, it is very hard to tell someone, "Hey, I'll refund you the $500 for the coral that was healthy and thriving when it left my store." This is also where it is important to keep me, the finance guy, out of the store. If there is one thing I wish everyone could understand, it's that nobody opens a LFS for Ferrari buying profit. It's just not a good idea. These are hobbyists behind the counter. Passionate, invested, well-versed hobbyists just like you. They found a way to do what they love for a living. That's it. End of story. We cannot treat the LFS like a Walmart or Target where we expect the owner to make it right financially every time we have a problem. Opening a huge operation like BRS is an entirely different story. Those guys are in it to win it (as they should be, I love BRS and shop there myself from time to time).

You see, the big guys have the buying power to secure shipping rights to things like bulk heads, pumps, lights, etc. That means that every bulk head that comes onto US shores from let's say China, somebody in the industry is managing that supply chain and making money off of it. Furthermore, once/if they have enough selling volume, they can extend distribution deals to companies like Innovate Marine to showcase their tanks on the website, things like that. What I am saying is we go from a moms and pops every sale is a basic transaction LFS, to a big boy let's get into the economics side of maximizing profits large operation. I think Corey from Aquarium Co-Op is a very interesting study into the finances of being successful in the aquarium hobby. He went from small LFS to major online retailer and talks about the journey very openly.

This a bit of me just recording my internal dialogue, but there is a point to it. The local LFS is only as important as you want it to be. You can buy EVERYTHING online, and probably get it cheaper while you are at it. What you gain at the LFS is the ability to put your hands and eyes on everything you buy, as well as the opportunity to pick someones brain (assuming you can trust your LFS). Consider the day to day challenges the LFS faces to keep the lights on, and then consider what your purchase means to that shop owner. I recently made a large African cichlid purchase at my LFS and the guy let slip, "People have been window shopping all afternoon, I knew someone would come save the day." He was immediately embarrassed I think, but the guy works very hard and is profoundly honest in his advice so I didn't mind the statement. His passion for the hobby is what fuels so much of what we enjoy and his willingness to spend time with people he knows will not buy a thing is exactly what we need. So from one hobbyist to another, we truly and absolutely appreciate your business. If you are looking at something on Amazon, its worth asking if we can get it for the same price at the very least, and if you buy eeeeverything else online... please come check out our livestock!

Side note: I want to enforce that I am not attacking big sites like BRS, Marine Depot, and Aquarim Co-op. Those guys have great customer service, return policies, and selection. We are however all fishing from the same pond, so while we may not be directly going at each other, business is business. I wish those guys the best.
one fish store in the Inland Empire been around for 30 plus years nice thing about them is they will match internet prices for dry goods this includes protein skimmers Chillers tanks and pumps. Hope you get the picture. very few stores do that

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one fish store in the Inland Empire been around for 30 plus years nice thing about them is they will match internet prices for dry goods this includes protein skimmers Chillers tanks and pumps. Hope you get the picture. very few stores do that

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back