Is the reef hobby pathed with death?

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping fish on and off for a long time and I'd like to think I'm pretty decent at it. However, sometimes I feel like getting to this point in the hobby was at the expense of many living things. I can definitely admit that I've probably killed an embarrassing number of fish since I got my first 10 gallon as a six year old. I've also definitely killed my share of coral (purposefully and accidentally). Despite all this I think I'm at the point where I am able to avoid most issues entirely but this experience came from making mistakes that ended up in the death of many livestock.

What are your opinions? Are there seasoned aquarists who have never had any major die offs or kills?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. We all kill so many things. I still have deep regrets. That’s why I think the future has to be all captive bred. They are hardier, they don’t have to be extracted from their natural environment, and they don’t have to go through as much shipment. We just need the drive to shift to all captive bred. Once there is a will, we can find a way to accomplish it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. We all kill so many things. I still have deep regrets. That’s why I think the future has to be all captive bred. They are hardier, they don’t have to be extracted from their natural environment, and they don’t have to go through as much shipment. We just need the drive to shift to all captive bred. Once there is a will, we can find a way to accomplish it.
Haha reminds me of owner of an LFS telling me recently about a customer (a tank at their business) he wanted setup and wanted only captive bred fish. Once he saw the quote and and also realized how many things he could not get he changed his mind.

Dont get me wrong I agree with the goal, but unless mandates (ie Hawaii ban) force us that route over time I dont think it is going to happen. It is nice to see more and more captive bred fish and coral in recent years though(like recent stories of successful tank spawning of scolys). It has already changed so much since I entered the hobby though. Even only 10 years ago almost all coral at stores near me at least was wild imported. Now the majority(at the stores I frequent) is either tank grown or maricultured.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire pet industry is paved with death whether captive dogs and cats for breeding, or anything else for that matter. The only thing you can actualize is making the best decisions that help you sleep at night, and caring for them as best you can.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping fish on and off for a long time and I'd like to think I'm pretty decent at it. However, sometimes I feel like getting to this point in the hobby was at the expense of many living things. I can definitely admit that I've probably killed an embarrassing number of fish since I got my first 10 gallon as a six year old. I've also definitely killed my share of coral (purposefully and accidentally). Despite all this I think I'm at the point where I am able to avoid most issues entirely but this experience came from making mistakes that ended up in the death of many livestock.

What are your opinions? Are there seasoned aquarists who have never had any major die offs or kills?
I believe everyone has been through some death for sure. I myself in about 2 years have sadly lost 5 fish (ich outbreak not i QT) and probably 8ish corals. I’ve learned from it all and I hope to alleviate most of the loss I cause from now on. As long as you learn from it and don’t go overboard and just let it keep happening I believe it helps in the long run.

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, not to be a huge bummer but pretty much all human activity is responsible for the death of sea creatures. This hobby is a drop in the bucket compared to the destruction of the natural reefs due to pollution. I view it as my job in this hobby to take every precaution to provide the best life possible for the creatures I'm taking care of. Other than that I don't worry too much about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back