Is the Yellow Tang reef safe?

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a yellow tang and there is a green star polyp and a hammer coral. I'm not sure if the new fish will end up nibbling on them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue with a yellow tang nipping at coral. As long as you put out algae for them to graze on they'll leave coral alone :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you and will I need to put algae for them to graze on 24/7?
Not 24/7, but what I usually do is daily i'll put a sheet of algae in the algae clip. If it runs out by the end of the day, he finds other algea in the tank to nibble on. But one sheet a day seems to keep him happy :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a yellow tang and there is a green star polyp and a hammer coral. I'm not sure if the new fish will end up nibbling on them.

Yellow Tangs are generally good, if you were putting in a Blue Hippo Tang, I would say that is more of a gamble. Now whether or not the Yellow Tang will turn into an aggressive jerk as it matures is the different story. :D

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Yellow Tangs are awesome reef fish that stand out from a distance.

They may become more aggressive in a smaller tank. They needs adequate room to swim IMO.
Generally a good rule of thumb is to add Tangs, or your most aggressive fish, last.

You mentioned some corals but didn’t name any other fish. Do you have a wishlist of fish you still want to add?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back