Is the Yellow Tang reef safe?

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2019
Messages
33
Reaction score
39
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a yellow tang and there is a green star polyp and a hammer coral. I'm not sure if the new fish will end up nibbling on them.
 
Never had an issue with a yellow tang nipping at coral. As long as you put out algae for them to graze on they'll leave coral alone :)
 
ok thank you and will I need to put algae for them to graze on 24/7?
Not 24/7, but what I usually do is daily i'll put a sheet of algae in the algae clip. If it runs out by the end of the day, he finds other algea in the tank to nibble on. But one sheet a day seems to keep him happy :)
 
Not 24/7, but what I usually do is daily i'll put a sheet of algae in the algae clip. If it runs out by the end of the day, he finds other algea in the tank to nibble on. But one sheet a day seems to keep him happy :)
ok thank you
 
I'm planning to get a yellow tang and there is a green star polyp and a hammer coral. I'm not sure if the new fish will end up nibbling on them.

Yellow Tangs are generally good, if you were putting in a Blue Hippo Tang, I would say that is more of a gamble. Now whether or not the Yellow Tang will turn into an aggressive jerk as it matures is the different story. :D
 
How big is your tank? Yellow Tangs are awesome reef fish that stand out from a distance.

They may become more aggressive in a smaller tank. They needs adequate room to swim IMO.
Generally a good rule of thumb is to add Tangs, or your most aggressive fish, last.

You mentioned some corals but didn’t name any other fish. Do you have a wishlist of fish you still want to add?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new