Is there a correlation between high nutrients and aiptasia reproduction?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don't know but I feel like there is. Instead of searching I thought it would make for a good discussion!

Is there a correlation between high nutrients and aiptasia reproduction?

Meatloaf1909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about high nutrients, but I have noticed that with heavier feeding, my aiptasia problem has gone from manageable to starting to get out of hand. I have watched a lot of the larger aiptasia grab onto large chunks of food with every feeding.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure about high nutrients, but I have noticed that with heavier feeding, my aiptasia problem has gone from manageable to starting to get out of hand. I have watched a lot of the larger aiptasia grab onto large chunks of food with everything feeding.

First post! Welcome!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porous rock and the amount one has should be a factor. I would imagine reef roads and frenzy are great food to feed... them right lol. My nutrients are low and I didn't have any until recently. Three popped up in frags I bought.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about NO3 and PO4 as measured by my test kits but heavy feeding definitely seems to make them proliferate. That happened before when my NO3 and PO4 were actually quite low.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190105_202102_01.gif
IMG_20190105_202102_01.gif
I'm not sure about high nutrients, but I have noticed that with heavier feeding, my aiptasia problem has gone from manageable to starting to get out of hand. I have watched a lot of the larger aiptasia grab onto large chunks of food with every feeding.
That makes a lot of sense

Welcome

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correlation or causation? I. Don’t think high nutrients cause aiptasia to reproduce faster .... or at least I’ve never noticed a connection, though clearly if they capture more food they are going to multiply faster. It may be that they are correlated though. Poor husbandry means lots of potential issues including high nutrients and lots of pests.

Dan Watson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with aiptasia since day one with no success defeating them. Ive tried dropping nutrients alltogether for an algae breakout for 2 months no water change. No luck not even noticable difference. I think that aiptasia strictly eat from largeer fruits in the water column and do not rely on nutrients but in fact, small food invis to naked eye to the largest piece they can grab, and light load. Ive got a few in areas of my tanks that i cannot aiptasia-x and those have nearly no light. they turn white and strictly live off food chunks. You might be able to help keep them away using less nutrients, but at what cost? The real winner with aiptasia in my opinion is using critters but that often fails too. I’d say maintain nutrients and solve them via other forms of removal.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't observed more Aiptasia in higher nutrient tanks. I think they do well at low numbers as well.

But I agree on the feeding. They just love everything from newly hatched artemia to big chunks of frozen shrimps. So I think the abundance is more related to food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Aptasia seem to fair well and survive in a nutrient rich setting as the in a sense filter feed and always end up with food at feeding

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not, but the more you feed actual food, the bigger they grow as they do eat solid foods. Aiptasia release their babies when feel threatened or are under attack in order to continue their lively hood. Also bits if aiptasia that come loose after a botched attempt to kill one will cause the pieces to regrow.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep when I had my explosion I felt like I was feeding them too... just fattening them up for the berghia , mwahaha

Back