is there a decent "Reefing 101" thread for new reefers?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres so many people around that get improperly informed by their LFS and such, and also alot of important info that new reefers could really be helped by that many of them don't know. Is there a comprehensive crash course thread/video made for people just learning the hobby that could be used to help people out?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s “The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium”, but it can be a bit daunting to a newcomer, and, in my honest opinion, may not be succinct enough to be as helpful as it otherwise could be (it tries, though, and it’s a fantastic resource regardless).

Obviously there are things out there that help (such as the sticky threads in the “New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here” forum), but in my experience they are either incomplete (dealing with a limited part of the tank setup/keeping), or they are way too in depth (it’s easier to take things in bite size chunks rather than swallowing the elephant whole, so to speak, so these big ones can be very daunting or overwhelming).

Personally, I feel like a brief overview guide with links to in depth discussions of each subject covered would be a good compromise that would be comprehensive, but not overwhelmingly informative. That way, people could take their learning at their pace, or just jump right in to the issue they need help with at the moment (for example, maybe their tank is setup, but they’re trying to figure out what rocks/substrate to use. So, rather than blasting them with generic start up info, maybe have that be a section discussed briefly in the guide with a link to a more in depth article about it). The guide itself would touch on just the bare-bone necessities, but the links could add some meat to the topics.

Just my two cents on the matter.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are some good books out there that range from the extreme basics to the sky is the limit...I feel like people would rather look on their phone though (kinda a shame)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500C2FE6-0EE2-418D-B357-15CCE0BD26A6.jpeg

books are better than anything online . The old ones are still very relevant and really helped shape a whole generation of reefers that did ultimately share their experiences online, but usually never as well as someone who took years to write a single book.
I heartily recommend this one by Bob Fenner and I believe can be purchased on kindle (I think)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500C2FE6-0EE2-418D-B357-15CCE0BD26A6.jpeg

books are better than anything online . The old ones are still very relevant and really helped shape a whole generation of reefers that did ultimately share their experiences online, but usually never as well as someone who took a years to write a single book.
I heartily recommend this one by Bob Fenner and I believe can be purchased on kindle (I think)
Books come in every level which makes them the best imo...I have several. Online you end up getting too many personal opinions from not the most qualified people

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite there current leanings and reduction in quality content the BRS 52 weeks of reefing on youtube is still top notch. There 5 minute tank series isn't bad for just getting started either.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back