Who or what changed reefing for you?

AlyciaMarie

Official R2R Hype Girl
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
15,480
Location
Chattanooga
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people who have done this for a long while can look back and say, "I wish I'd known then what I know now."

What was it for you? It could be a negative experience you learned from, or a success you never knew was possible. Maybe it was a mentor or total stranger who gave you advice or direction that changed how you take care of your tank and solve issues. I know those people are here on R2R because we see them daily hanging out in the comments and helping everyone. As a nurse, I always say, "If you feel like you have nothing left to learn, maybe you should find a new profession." And reefing is probably the same way. There is always room to learn more.

Whatever it is, I'm sure many of us here can benefit from hearing about it! I know I can. Post it below, and make sure you shout out anyone who has helped you along the way!
 
For me it was finally figuring out dosing ca and alk. For a long time I never did and had just moderate success with keeping coral. Once I actually put the effort and time into learning about it more and then actually putting it into practice things pretty much snowballed from there.

I find that the dosing aspect is not hard for a new reefers to understand, but they usually seem hesitant to implement it as they lack any experience with reef tanks and the extra work and testing to get the daily dosages correct is a turn off
 
For me it was finally figuring out dosing ca and alk. For a long time I never did and had just moderate success with keeping coral. Once I actually put the effort and time into learning about it more and then actually putting it into practice things pretty much snowballed from there.

I find that the dosing aspect is not hard for a new reefers to understand, but they usually seem hesitant to implement it as they lack any experience with reef tanks and the extra work and testing to get the daily dosages correct is a turn off
Thanks for sharing! How did you learn about it? Online resources, LFS, thread post, trial/error?
 
When I realized you can keep mini slices of the ocean at home for a relatively affordable price I was sold.
 
When I discovered you don't need all the fancy equipment. "Kiss"( keep it simple stupid) method for me. Tried all the gimmicks and new gear trying to make everything thrive. Then I went snorkeling and had a first hand view of a real coral reef. That totally changed my prespective. I now try to imitate the ocean. Refugium filtration. Phytoplankton is added daily to feed the plankton that feeds the coral and the fish. Mysis shrimp are everywhere. When the lights go out the rocks come alive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new