Who or what changed reefing for you?

AlyciaMarie

Mrs. Gumbies R Us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people who have done this for a long while can look back and say, "I wish I'd known then what I know now."

What was it for you? It could be a negative experience you learned from, or a success you never knew was possible. Maybe it was a mentor or total stranger who gave you advice or direction that changed how you take care of your tank and solve issues. I know those people are here on R2R because we see them daily hanging out in the comments and helping everyone. As a nurse, I always say, "If you feel like you have nothing left to learn, maybe you should find a new profession." And reefing is probably the same way. There is always room to learn more.

Whatever it is, I'm sure many of us here can benefit from hearing about it! I know I can. Post it below, and make sure you shout out anyone who has helped you along the way!

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was finally figuring out dosing ca and alk. For a long time I never did and had just moderate success with keeping coral. Once I actually put the effort and time into learning about it more and then actually putting it into practice things pretty much snowballed from there.

I find that the dosing aspect is not hard for a new reefers to understand, but they usually seem hesitant to implement it as they lack any experience with reef tanks and the extra work and testing to get the daily dosages correct is a turn off

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Mrs. Gumbies R Us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was finally figuring out dosing ca and alk. For a long time I never did and had just moderate success with keeping coral. Once I actually put the effort and time into learning about it more and then actually putting it into practice things pretty much snowballed from there.

I find that the dosing aspect is not hard for a new reefers to understand, but they usually seem hesitant to implement it as they lack any experience with reef tanks and the extra work and testing to get the daily dosages correct is a turn off
Thanks for sharing! How did you learn about it? Online resources, LFS, thread post, trial/error?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back