Is there a general coral id thread?

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody I am trying to learn more about corals and want to start with the general classifications / identifications. ive been looking around on the site but cant seem to find one. is there a large general coral id thread on here?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a mighty long thread. If you want to get a basic idea as far as the trade goes just look at the sites of some coral shops like tidal gardens for example. You can get an idea of what different families and genera look like at the very least.

For more in depth information about specific species as well as more information about their specific habitat, distribution, and unique characteristics, corals of the world is unmatched.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also I highly recommend the reef builders dive videos. They show some common aquarium corals but they show them "in context" giving you perspective on the wide variety of different habitats exist on a single reef and where our corals find their homes in those habitats.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH hey I forgot about this. This is a really good playlist of video spotlights for various corals from tidal gardens. It's a store so take things with a grain of salt but there's SOOO much great photography in here of many different strains of each coral species or genus. There's some care info as well but I just love the way they shoot corals (main reason I've bought from them). The playlist has 5-15 min videos about pretty much every popular coral in the trade and even some unpopular ones.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Corals of the World for identification, but I would cross reference their taxonomic nomenclature with the World Register of Marine Species website, as COTW often uses outdated taxonomic nomenclature based on macromorphological traits.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back