Is there a problem with my fish

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, one of my 5 Anthias has its fins a bit torn up. Another rhomboid wrasse also looks a bit rough. The tank is heavily stocked with 20-30 fish.

Is this a sign of a disease? Flukes? Or just aggression from another fish? Pics of Anthias and a video also attached.

F72E38DD-CD9E-4007-A021-A5BBD3EB6DAC.jpeg 89CEAE84-88E8-4A9E-A849-5FE8441AFAEC.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1967.MOV
    15.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, one of my 5 Anthias has its fins a bit torn up. Another rhomboid wrasse also looks a bit rough. The tank is heavily stocked with 20-30 fish.

Is this a sign of a disease? Flukes? Or just aggression from another fish? Pics of Anthias and a video also attached.

F72E38DD-CD9E-4007-A021-A5BBD3EB6DAC.jpeg 89CEAE84-88E8-4A9E-A849-5FE8441AFAEC.jpeg
What size tank and age of tank ?
Looking at pic, it appears there is shredding of the tail and finnage going on. Any more off the tail and fish will be unable to swim properly.
While I see a couple of the fish in video- What other fish are in the tank with it?

If you have not seen physical damage being inflicted by a tankmate, you can set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will keep an eye. It is a 200gallon tank. Established 2 years and these fish are probably closing a year in the tank now. There are mostly tangs and wrasses.

Most likely culprit is the male Anthias (it’s a group of 1 male and 5 females). Though I have not seen any aggression between the fish except the yellow and purple tangs.

Other possibility is that I have some sort of killer hitchhiker.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will keep an eye. It is a 200gallon tank. Established 2 years and these fish are probably closing a year in the tank now. There are mostly tangs and wrasses.

Most likely culprit is the male Anthias (it’s a group of 1 male and 5 females). Though I have not seen any aggression between the fish except the yellow and purple tangs.

Other possibility is that I have some sort of killer hitchhiker.
Flukes can make a fish look sort of tattered, but not this severely - I’d say tankmate aggression here. Tough to catch this because while you are watching the fish, they stop fighting to watch you.
Try the phone trick!

Jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back