Is there a proper time to dose Red Sea AB+?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title.. my gut is telling me dosing should be done at night with the moonlight on.

Then again im a moron.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title.. my gut is telling me dosing should be done at night with the moonlight on.

Then again im a moron.

per RedSeaKev: Kevin Davies

Dose about 1 hour before lights out.

Right before the dose turn off your protein skimmer for two hours.

Doing it that way gives your daylight species and your lights out species some time to feed.

and... your not a moron.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know too.
Saying that, all of my corals are open during the day and close up at night, so I dose it with my lights on.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
per RedSeaKev: Kevin Davies

Dose about 1 hour before lights out.

Right before the dose turn off your protein skimmer for two hours.

Doing it that way gives your daylight species and your lights out species some time to feed.

and... your not a moron.
Two hours? I turn mine off for one hour and dose twice a day via doser (3pm and 3am)...should I dose closer to sunset based on what you are say? (17.8ml daily)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two hours? I turn mine off for one hour and dose twice a day via doser (3pm and 3am)...should I dose closer to sunset based on what you are say? (17.8ml daily)

I hand dose to what RedSeaKev recommends, including skimmer turn off time, but you have full automation... ;Woot ;Woot

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hand dose to what RedSeaKev recommends, including skimmer turn off time, but you have full automation... ;Woot ;Woot
Yes I do have full automation...Once ina while I might add some hand dose (during the 3pm hour if I am home)...but other than that everything is fully automated (ALK, MAG, CAL and AB+)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gone all day long and kept forgetting in the morning so now I dose at night. My acros are super bushy at night and scolys are open so I hope everybody is getting some. I did spot feed during the day a few times and my Goni’s seemed to love it. Best feeding response by far

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually have been thinking about this topic a lot. It was more an off the cuff test, but I have mine fully controlled with apex and I was dosing for one week, once a day, an hour before lights out and repeated the same the following week for one dose right around midday at 1 pm. I noticed that during the week I did it at mid-day, my Alk consumption was up around 10-15% with all parameters more or less in line.

My current run, is splitting the dose into 3 times a day in morning, afternoon, and evening to see what it does to Alk consumption. I wonder if anyone has ever done a full test before I go and actually try and design one with controlled parameters.

Last edited:

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually have been thinking about this topic a lot. It was more an off the cuff test, but I have mine fully controlled with apex and I was dosing for one week, once a day, an hour before lights out and repeated the same the following week for one dose right around midday at 1 pm. I noticed that during the week I did it at mid-day, my Alk consumption was up around 10-15% with all parameters more or less in line.

My current run, is splitting the dose into 3 times a day in morning, afternoon, and evening to see what it does to Alk consumption. I wonder if anyone has ever done a full test before I go and actually try and design one with controlled parameters.
Did you continue to test this theory?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a necro thread, but alk consumption with SPS is almost entirely a daytime affair. Once the lights pop off alk consumption dives and so does calcification.

So, to keep alk from falling during coral calcification you want to primarily dose during the day.

Caveat: my dKH will dive a couple points in 24hours if I dont dose. Small tank - lots of SPS. Dosing during the day is going to have a much greater impact on my tank vs somebody who can barely see a perceptible change in alk over a day cycle sans dosing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back