Is there a simple solution to this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I've got a pump running a UV sterilizer and would like to install a simple sensor for my Profilux 4 just to detect if water is flowing at all from that pump and turn off the UV sterilizer outlet if its not - I don't care about monitoring flow rates. I've already got two flow sensors in my setup and think another one would be overkill for this application. Has anyone done this? Maybe with a float switch or some other simple on/off sensor?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A float sensor higher in the sump that would be based on the return pump being off. It activates turning off the UV light. I have one that turns off my skimmer and my UV, and chiller. Simple and effective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A float sensor higher in the sump that would be based on the return pump being off. It activates turning off the UV light. I have one that turns off my skimmer and my UV, and chiller. Simple and effective.

That is simple solution and a great idea. Unfortunately my UV doesn't run off of a return pump and sump volume wouldn't increase enough to enable a float switch in the sump. I do have a section of PVC above the water line I could install a sensor in - i'm wondering if a optical level sensor inside of that pipe could be used to detect the presence of water?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a way to securely install a GHL optical sensor (horizontally) along the PVC pipe so just the eye is inside the pipe, then yes that would be doable.

The outlet that is powering your UV would then have to be assigned to the LEAKAGE DETECTION function. That way, when your feed pump is ON and water is flowing through the pipe, the assigned outlet will stay ON. If the pump is turned OFF, the optical sensor will detect that and trigger an alarm which will then make the UV turn OFF.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps put a T pipe in with a plug where the middle is. Drill the plug and tap it to the same thread as the optical sensor. Just a thought to share.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back