Is there a way to QT without cooper?

armandoarturo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Im about to get new fish. (2 royal gramma, 1 midas blenny and 1 diamond goby).
It wont be possible for me to use copper because its not easy to get it where I live.
Is there any other way beside the "current QT protocol" in the sticky thread?
What If I do Hyposalinity for 35 days in QT ?
I know it wont work for velvet and uronema but still I guess its better than nothing?
What should I do???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone!
It wont be possible for me to use copper because its not easy to get it where I live.
I know it wont work for velvet and uronema but still I guess its better than nothing?
What should I do???
TTN will be too stressful on small fish like these and require multiple tanks. Hypo can be the same and questions their tolerance level especially the midas blenny.
I believe you have access to Api General cure which will be very safe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
What should I do???
TTM is too stressful and does not help with diseases that go through direct development.

You’re correct that hyposalinity doesn’t help with Uronema or Amyloodinium (velvet) but it works really well for ich and flukes. Here is a link:

Jay

OP
OP
armandoarturo

armandoarturo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is too stressful and does not help with diseases that go through direct development.

You’re correct that hyposalinity doesn’t help with Uronema or Amyloodinium (velvet) but it works really well for ich and flukes. Here is a link:

Jay
Will midas blenny, royal gramma and diamond gobby tolerate hypo?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can't get Coppersafe in Mexico? Is copper treatment not allowed there?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will midas blenny, royal gramma and diamond gobby tolerate hypo?
Yes - all of those are fine at 1.009 just bear in mind that there will be some stress and if the fish have some other additional issues, that can cause problems.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate
I've moved away from CP due to some odd toxicity I was seeing. I wasn't getting good disease control at 12 mg/l and so I went higher and had some fish losses across a number of systems - lionfish and wrasse mostly.

Here is an article I wrote about it before I began seeing issues:

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a hybrid ttm and two doses of prazi pro while observering for anything else. Not perfect but handles some common issues. I also run uv 24 hours a day on my display.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
What should I do???
I put all new fish though a quarantine tank for observation only, but I do not use any medication unless the fish develop clear and obvious symptoms of disease.

After 30 days of observation they head over to the DT.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've moved away from CP due to some odd toxicity I was seeing. I wasn't getting good disease control at 12 mg/l and so I went higher and had some fish losses across a number of systems - lionfish and wrasse mostly.

Here is an article I wrote about it before I began seeing issues:
Jay, I posted my thoughts previously on testing for CP using a Hanna HR Phoshphate checker on the humble forum...interested to hear your opinion.

What I wrote:
"...Just thinking outside the box here...I wonder if it would be possible to check CP levels in a QT with a Hanna High Range Phosphate Checker? Perhaps first testing soon after CP is added to the QT to get a baseline number and then using that number to adjust the re-dosage down the road? I am in no way a chemist but I was thinking if CP is partially phosphate could this method not be used to get some type of estimate of degradation of CP over time? I am a big fan of using CP but do not like treating blindly without a method to test the amount of medication in the water."

"I was thinking...

1) set up empty glass QT tank with fresh saltwater.
2) check phosphate with hanna checker (might not need to do this step). Should be around zero.
3) dose CP at recommended level per gallon and let circulate
4) test phosphate with hanna checker and get new phosphate reading to use as starting point.
5) add fish to QT, test every X amount of days and add CP to get back to baseline CP phosphate number."

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
What should I do???
I have some thoughts.

The "current QT protocol" was designed to be mostly full-proof, at least as effective as can be reasonably obtained by us hobbyists.

There is a spectrum of ways that you can QT. Anything from observational QT only all the way up to a long QT with prophylactic meds. What you do depends on your own tolerance for risk, and sometimes the availability of meds.

A diamond goby will be tough to QT, as they don't always eat prepared foods and sometimes only eat by sifting sand.

If meds aren't available (Prazi & Copper), I would probably set up a small cycled tank for observation. Get the fishes eating well and watch them for a bit, like a week at the shortest. Then, your plan of hyposalinity would cover ich and flukes. As for velvet, at the end of a week of observation and 30+ days of hypo, you would know if you have velvet. It works fast.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I posted my thoughts previously on testing for CP using a Hanna HR Phoshphate checker on the humble forum...interested to hear your opinion.

What I wrote:
"...Just thinking outside the box here...I wonder if it would be possible to check CP levels in a QT with a Hanna High Range Phosphate Checker? Perhaps first testing soon after CP is added to the QT to get a baseline number and then using that number to adjust the re-dosage down the road? I am in no way a chemist but I was thinking if CP is partially phosphate could this method not be used to get some type of estimate of degradation of CP over time? I am a big fan of using CP but do not like treating blindly without a method to test the amount of medication in the water."

"I was thinking...

1) set up empty glass QT tank with fresh saltwater.
2) check phosphate with hanna checker (might not need to do this step). Should be around zero.
3) dose CP at recommended level per gallon and let circulate
4) test phosphate with hanna checker and get new phosphate reading to use as starting point.
5) add fish to QT, test every X amount of days and add CP to get back to baseline CP phosphate number."

The trouble is, there are obviously other sources of PO4 than just the phosphate in the drug itself, and that will confuse the readings. It might work, but I always used a UV spec.

Another issue is that CP is degraded by bacteria, but the PO4 is not. That means that the chloroquine may be gone, but you can still test for PO4.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back