Is there any gear I can cheapen out on in this list for my Waterbox 50.3?

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I keep going back and forth between the Waterbox 50.3 (AIO) and 60.2 (has a SUMP but upgrades would make this really expensive). The size and simplicity of the 50.3 keep drawing me back to it. If I were to buy it, here is a list of equipment I would add:

- 2x Kessil A80
- 1x Eheim Jager 300W
- 1x Jebao SOW-4 Wavemaker
- Innovative Marine MightyJet Return Pump
- AquaFX Barracuda Glacial RO-DI Unit - 100 GPD.
- Kamoer ATO One SE

Stocking wishlist:
- 2 Clowns
- Goby + Shrimp
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- Soft corals (for a while, I want to properly understand how to care for them and let my tank establish)​

Considering this will be my first time, is there any gear in there I can cheapen out on for a while?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I keep going back and forth between the Waterbox 50.3 (AIO) and 60.2 (has a SUMP but upgrades would make this really expensive). The size and simplicity of the 50.3 keep drawing me back to it. If I were to buy it, here is a list of equipment I would add:

- 2x Kessil A80
- 1x Eheim Jager 300W
- 1x Jebao SOW-4 Wavemaker
- Innovative Marine MightyJet Return Pump
- AquaFX Barracuda Glacial RO-DI Unit - 100 GPD.
- Kamoer ATO One SE

Stocking wishlist:
- 2 Clowns
- Goby + Shrimp
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- Soft corals (for a while, I want to properly understand how to care for them and let my tank establish)​

Considering this will be my first time, is there any gear in there I can cheapen out on for a while?
I’m gunna say no and the fact that you need a lot more gear…..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need better lighting. Get a cheaper return pump and put the money towards more powerful lights. Used AI prime with goosenecks go for about 150-175. Otherwise the Noop lights look good

A80s are for like 5-10g cubes.

Your corals won’t care what brand your return pump is or if it’s controllable but they will care to have adequate lighting.

Cheaper lights would be smatfarms.

Sorry, I know you wanted cheaper but better to buy once then twice.

Also petco has a sale on 40g for like 50 bucks right now if you want to cut costs dramatically. You can just run a hob filter on it or no filter at all even.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 will give you the same GPH flow as the MightyJet, and it’s a little cheaper

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gunna say no and the fact that you need a lot more gear…..
I thought so.. what else am I missing? Besides the testing kits of course. I do want to add a skimmer at some point but that'll be later down the line.

Sorry, I know you wanted cheaper but better to buy once then twice.

Also petco has a sale on 40g for like 50 bucks right now if you want to cut costs dramatically. You can just run a hob filter on it or no filter at all even.
Got it. I'm prepared to buy two AI Primes as that's what I wanted initially but saw that the Kessil A80 had great ratings. I'll definitely cheapen out a bit on the pump for the lights.

Regarding the 40g tank, how complicated is it to drill and do the plumbing? Just a rough idea. I wanted to go that route because it saves a lot of money but it just seemed daunting.

A Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 will give you the same GPH flow as the MightyJet, and it’s a little cheaper
Oh wow, thanks for the suggestion!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so.. what else am I missing? Besides the testing kits of course. I do want to add a skimmer at some point but that'll be later down the line.

Got it. I'm prepared to buy two AI Primes as that's what I wanted initially but saw that the Kessil A80 had great ratings. I'll definitely cheapen out a bit on the pump for the lights.

Regarding the 40g tank, how complicated is it to drill and do the plumbing? Just a rough idea. I wanted to go that route because it saves a lot of money but it just seemed daunting.

Oh wow, thanks for the suggestion!

not complicated. I did it as one of my first tanks with no experience. I just watched a video on YouTube. You just want to go slow and don’t push down. Just let the weight of the drill and friction do the work. You basically need to keep it wet as you drill. Some people make a pool of water by putting some putty or whatever to trap it, like a larger circle of putty around where you will still like a dam. Otherwise many use a hose and just run it over the glass as they drill.

For plumbing just buy extra 90s and 45s elbows and such. I always seem to need more than I think. You can always return the extra parts. You can also plumb in some extra areas for if you ever decide you add a reactor, it will be ready to go.

It’s nice to have some disconnects on the pipes in case you ever need to remove them and gate valves are much better than ball valves.

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not complicated. I did it as one of my first tanks with no experience. I just watched a video on YouTube. You just want to go slow and don’t push down. Just let the weight of the drill and friction do the work. You basically need to keep it wet as you drill. Some people make a pool of water by putting some putty or whatever to trap it, like a larger circle of putty around where you will still like a dam. Otherwise many use a hose and just run it over the glass as they drill.

For plumbing just buy extra 90s and 45s elbows and such. I always seem to need more than I think. You can always return the extra parts. You can also plumb in some extra areas for if you ever decide you add a reactor, it will be ready to go.

It’s nice to have some disconnects on the pipes in case you ever need to remove them and gate valves are much better than ball valves.
Doesn't seem too bad after watching some videos. What was the most difficult in building your own setup? Was it the plumbing or other things?

All i read was i inevitably want to spend more money cuz i went cheap to start. Never a good way to approach this hobby. Is this your first tank?
Yes, this is my first ever tank. I wanted to go with a cheaper/smaller tank that has a SUMP so I could just get some good gear but even then it's blowing my budget out of the water. I'm thinking maybe the DIY route would be best with a 45g breeder tank.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem too bad after watching some videos. What was the most difficult in building your own setup? Was it the plumbing or other things?

Yes, this is my first ever tank. I wanted to go with a cheaper/smaller tank that has a SUMP so I could just get some good gear but even then it's blowing my budget out of the water. I'm thinking maybe the DIY route would be best with a 45g breeder tank.
I said what i said because the last thing you want especially as a new reefer are issues outside your tank. Thats a quick route to exiting this hobby.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think anything was difficult as I bought a used stand that fit. Most overflow boxes come with a template... you want the box to be where the water line will be hidden by the rim. I think in my case, the template was perfect. I guess plumbing was time consuming as I screwed up a few cuts but it wasn't hard since really you are just using plumbers weld to glue stuff together. The PVC is so cheap that screwing that up isn't costly.

Getting the bulk heads to not leak is a little annoying since you don't want to over tighten or under tighten.

For the sump I had a glass shop cut me baffles and used another 40 breeder. Make sure you know the depth and size of your skimmer and you can make it all perfect.

OH! and put a bunched up towel inside the tank where you are cutting... no need for the chunk of glass that you cut out to fall and crack the other pane. Just something that could be easily forgotten.

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anything was difficult as I bought a used stand that fit. Most overflow boxes come with a template... you want the box to be where the water line will be hidden by the rim. I think in my case, the template was perfect. I guess plumbing was time consuming as I screwed up a few cuts but it wasn't hard since really you are just using plumbers weld to glue stuff together. The PVC is so cheap that screwing that up isn't costly.

Getting the bulk heads to not leak is a little annoying since you don't want to over tighten or under tighten.

For the sump I had a glass shop cut me baffles and used another 40 breeder. Make sure you know the depth and size of your skimmer and you can make it all perfect.

OH! and put a bunched up towel inside the tank where you are cutting... no need for the chunk of glass that you cut out to fall and crack the other pane. Just something that could be easily forgotten.
Lots of amazing info here. I really appreciate you taking the time for your replies. You're convincing me to go that route. Do you have a build thread? :eek:

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If yo are after a well priced return pump have a look at the mantis tornado...dc control and comes with a 2 year warranty..i have one and it is dead silent and hasnt missed a beat

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Used Aquariums on Craigslist and Facebook Market Place. Be prepared to barter!

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lights you can run 2 Noopsyche K7 Mini's or maybe a single Viparspectra.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of amazing info here. I really appreciate you taking the time for your replies. You're convincing me to go that route. Do you have a build thread? :eek:

Somewhere... haha I don't update it often though.. a lot going on and I like to mull in other threads instead of my own. My build badge keeps breaking.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back