Is there any schooling fish that would do good in a 40breeder

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra or scissortail dartfish, barnacle blennies, trimma and eviota gobies, Ailiops mesostigma, parvulus cardinals.

I have never seen the Ailiops mesostigma, I think a group of them would be awesome! How do the Ostorhinchus compressus do in a group?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen the Ailiops mesostigma, I think a group of them would be awesome! How do the Ostorhinchus compressus do in a group?
Compressus cardinals pr off, but get too big fo a 40g.

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish only work as singles or a male and female pair.

I’ve seen several successful tanks with multiple firefish gobies living together for years, two with a few and one with 6, but those may be the exception to the rule. Just the first one that came to mind.

As was said, dartfish, trimma or eviota gobies (super tiny), barnacle blennies (being my favorite! Their behavior is so entertaining.) And some species of cardinal fish, though most get fairly large.

I’d say have a net/lid no matter what fish you get. I’ve had species of fish jump that weren’t supposed to be “jumpers”. Most I saved in time, some I didn’t. But it’s not worth the risk anymore, for me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
CANT BEAT FIREFISH GOBIES ESPECIALLY FOR THE LOW PRICE, HARDINESS AND PEACEFUL REEF SAFE SPECIES.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
But not really a schooling fish...

I have 6 in my 360g and they always stick together, that is when all of them are out which is generally at feeding time. Speaking of schooling, My anthias although they squabble always stick together

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are widely available & relatively cheap, but I don’t know many people who have had long term success with groups of them unless they’re in a much larger tank.

Unless you’re careful, aquascape in a way that lets submissive ones run away easily from the dominants, and keep them well fed, from what I’ve seen they seem to really take the pecking order thing to extremes. Example, a friend with a 75gal mixed reef added 8 chromis and a year later he had 3 left.

Anthias are great reef-safe schoaling/schooling fish, but I can’t think of a species that would do well in a group in a 40 breeder.

I’d say stick with small trimma or eviota gobies, barnacle blennies (provide holes like barnacles so you can see their quirky behavior & make sure they feel safe), or cardinals (but, depending on species, may get too large over time).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 in my 360g and they always stick together, that is when all of them are out which is generally at feeding time. Speaking of schooling, My anthias although they squabble always stick together
In a 40g 2 will pr off and kill the others. There may be rare exceptions or maybe larger tanks, but in most tanks they are not tolerant of conspecifics.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back