Is there anything wrong with this drain plumbing?

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ll soon be plumbing a new coral low boy. I found this picture online and have seen this type of drain a few times. Instead of an overflow box it’s just a 90 degree elbow with a strainer attatchment at an angle to allow water to drain. I think this would be easier to install than an overflow box. Anything wrong with these types of drains?

36DF3C12-21FB-4CEC-A18B-B5715EC5FAC3.jpeg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but how is this different than an overflow box when they clog
Overflows has several inches of horizontal waterline where water waterfalls. It would take a large piece of debris to completely clog that length of waterline

Pvc strainers has very little horizontal waterline and are prone to clog much more quickly.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS often use this kind of setup on their rack systems. You just have to be vigilant on cleaning the strainers. Instead of using the short strainers as pictured you can use longer ones and mount them horizontally to lessen the effects of clogging. Most importantly though, be sure to have an open pipe emergency overflow plumbed in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back