Is there something wrong with my clownfish?

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Im attaching some videos of my clownfish. The pair seem to have been hosting this particular spot in my tank for a while. The male has started to sit in the spot and just lay down, then the return pump pushes him on his side. He doesn’t seem to have any spots (ich). He may be breathing fast.

is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with my clown? If so what could it be?

My tank is a 20 gallon tank with lots (4) of other fish and they are all fine at the moment. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly.

here are the videos

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to go to work and don’t want to leave them like this if this is a problem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi.
Im attaching some videos of my clownfish. The pair seem to have been hosting this particular spot in my tank for a while. The male has started to sit in the spot and just lay down, then the return pump pushes him on his side. He doesn’t seem to have any spots (ich). He may be breathing fast.

is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with my clown? If so what could it be?

My tank is a 20 gallon tank with lots (4) of other fish and they are all fine at the moment. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly.

here are the videos

Image blurry when expanded
You can hive it A 5 minute freshwater dip to offer temporary relief of many issues at same temperature as display tank
Pics under white lighting is best

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are Imgur videos. Try to click on them if you can please

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

here are the videos

Looks like the clownfish is submitting to the female or trying to host the GHA.

Params? do you use RODI? any other symptoms? any aggression?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be trying use that rock as a host. Clowns will lay on nems.

I can’t tell if it’s fins are deformed or not because of the coloration. Sometimes these designers are not culled properly and can cause odd swimming or eating problems.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing Params now, just noticed this this morning. I use RODI for salt with tropic Marin salt mix. Salinity 1.026. Mild aggression sometimes, but largely these two get along well. The only really concerning thing to me is when the male ends up on his side breathing a bit heavy.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can’t tell if it’s fins are deformed or not because of the coloration. Sometimes these designers are not culled properly and can cause odd swimming or eating problems.
they don't seem to be (membranes seems to be intact, you can see the edges)

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing Params now, just noticed this this morning. I use RODI for salt with tropic Marin salt mix. Salinity 1.026. Mild aggression sometimes, but largely these two get along well. The only really concerning thing to me is when the male ends up on his side breathing a bit heavy.
if no other symptoms, or discoloration, it could be submission. Does the male clown get some food during feeding time?

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can’t tell if it’s fins are deformed or not because of the coloration. Sometimes these designers are not culled properly and can cause odd swimming or eating problems

i think his fins are fine, I’ve had him since the end of March and he hasn’t shown any signs of issues. He was also at my LFS for 3+ weeks before i got him.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is eating well then I wouldn’t particularly worry about anything. May just be host behavior. Captive clowns can be kinda derpy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since clowns can swim funny at times, it could be 'normal'.

I do not think it is normal though - for a fish to lay on its side like that - and it is breathing somewhat heavily. You could try moving the rock and seeing if that changes the behavior.

It was great that you posted a video - but could you click the Link in my signature - and answer the other questions? So it might become more clear what is happening. So much of disease diagnosis depends on an accurate history - and whats going on with the rest of the tank. I could list several possibilities - but with the rest of the information - that list would be narrowed down considerably.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since clowns can swim funny at times, it could be 'normal'.

I do not think it is normal though - for a fish to lay on its side like that - and it is breathing somewhat heavily. You could try moving the rock and seeing if that changes the behavior.

It was great that you posted a video - but could you click the Link in my signature - and answer the other questions? So it might become more clear what is happening. So much of disease diagnosis depends on an accurate history - and whats going on with the rest of the tank. I could list several possibilities - but with the rest of the information - that list would be narrowed down considerably.
Would you be able to post that list in a reply? I’m on mobile and can’t see a link.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are reaaaaally weird. My female clown does this every night in the corner of my tank. I think she is sleeping? I wouldn't worry too much as long as clown is still eating.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are reaaaaally weird. My female clown does this every night in the corner of my tank. I think she is sleeping? I wouldn't worry too much as long as clown is still eating.
I think there’s a chance he maybe be guarding this area (potentially eggs? They are really young though) he is now swimming around following the female very closely. Looks totally normal. But just the laying on his side greatly concerned me. Every so often he will return to the same spot and lay on his side again.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you be able to post that list in a reply? I’m on mobile and can’t see a link.
Sure:

In your first post, give us a synopsis of problem: The more complete information the information you can provide, the better. The information that often proves helpful is listed below:

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank
Aquarium water volume
Filtration type
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature
pH:
Salinity / specific gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below)
Are any invertebrates affected?
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
Are the affected fish still feeding?
What remedies have you tried so far?
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light -
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well)

Fish Medics:
We now have a core group of eight fish disease experts to assist you with your issues. You can tell who is a member of this group by the blue "Fish Medic" banner below their name on the left side of their posts. While we may not always respond with exactly the same advice, all of us have been vetted, and will follow certain tried and true disease treatments. Using #fishmedic will alert these members of your post.

Helpful hints:

- If you have already had multiple fish lost to the problem, or if the fish is moribund (unable to swim) it is unlikely that any advice given can work fast enough to be successful.

- TLDR is an acronym for "Too Long, Didn't Read". Some of our responses may include links to articles, or may be very detailed. Please understand that there is often no simple, "just do this and your fish will be fine" response to a problem. You must help us help you by reading all of the supplied information.

- If you are reading a post and have a similar problem, please start your own thread. Not all similar problems have the same cause, and it gets confusing to reply to more than the original poster (OP).

- If you are responding to another person’s problem and are even a little unsure of the advice you are providing, please consider waiting to see how the thread develops. It gets very confusing to the OP to be given conflicting advice. If you are confident in the advice and it is counter to what has already been provided, bring it up via PM with the person whose advice is in conflict first.

- Please do not send fish disease questions by private conversation. Reef2Reef is a great community resource, and part of that is allowing all members and guests access to as much information as possible. Many more people can be helped when they read about other people’s fish health issues.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there’s a chance he maybe be guarding this area (potentially eggs? They are really young though) he is now swimming around following the female very closely. Looks totally normal. But just the laying on his side greatly concerned me. Every so often he will return to the same spot and lay on his side again.
It could be eggs - especially If it looks like he is fanning the area vigorously. You should be able to see the eggs though.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the clownfish is submitting to the female or trying to host the GHA.

Params? do you use RODI? any other symptoms? any aggression?
This doesn't look like submissive behavior in my opinion, the less dominant one should do a brief "shake" or "vibration" type of dance to show it is submissive

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back