Is there something wrong with my clownfish?

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure:

In your first post, give us a synopsis of problem: The more complete information the information you can provide, the better. The information that often proves helpful is listed below:

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank
Aquarium water volume
Filtration type
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature
pH:
Salinity / specific gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below)
Are any invertebrates affected?
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
Are the affected fish still feeding?
What remedies have you tried so far?
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light -
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well)

Fish Medics:
We now have a core group of eight fish disease experts to assist you with your issues. You can tell who is a member of this group by the blue "Fish Medic" banner below their name on the left side of their posts. While we may not always respond with exactly the same advice, all of us have been vetted, and will follow certain tried and true disease treatments. Using #fishmedic will alert these members of your post.

Helpful hints:

- If you have already had multiple fish lost to the problem, or if the fish is moribund (unable to swim) it is unlikely that any advice given can work fast enough to be successful.

- TLDR is an acronym for "Too Long, Didn't Read". Some of our responses may include links to articles, or may be very detailed. Please understand that there is often no simple, "just do this and your fish will be fine" response to a problem. You must help us help you by reading all of the supplied information.

- If you are reading a post and have a similar problem, please start your own thread. Not all similar problems have the same cause, and it gets confusing to reply to more than the original poster (OP).

- If you are responding to another person’s problem and are even a little unsure of the advice you are providing, please consider waiting to see how the thread develops. It gets very confusing to the OP to be given conflicting advice. If you are confident in the advice and it is counter to what has already been provided, bring it up via PM with the person whose advice is in conflict first.

- Please do not send fish disease questions by private conversation. Reef2Reef is a great community resource, and part of that is allowing all members and guests access to as much information as possible. Many more people can be helped when they read about other people’s fish health issues.
This is great!

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 20 gal
Filtration type: two filter floss baskets on each side of AIO, 1 bag of chemipure elite, 3 bio cubes.
Lighting: 1 AI prime 16HD, BRS ratio at 50% power. On from 10:30 am, with 1 hr ramp up, off at 9:30 pm with 2 hr ramp down
How long has the aquarium been established?: about 1 year
Photo( can do this later but Here’s one from a few week ago)

Temperature 78.6 (digital thermometer)
pH: 8.1
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Phosphorus not tested this time.
Copper:0
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?: no

Are any invertebrates affected?: no

Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): only when laying down. Hard to count when clown is swimming

Are the affected fish still feeding?: Not sure, he ate last night, will feed again when home from work.

What remedies have you tried so far?: nothing yet, still diagnosing.

- video uploaded.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great!

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 20 gal
Filtration type: two filter floss baskets on each side of AIO, 1 bag of chemipure elite, 3 bio cubes.
Lighting: 1 AI prime 16HD, BRS ratio at 50% power. On from 10:30 am, with 1 hr ramp up, off at 9:30 pm with 2 hr ramp down
How long has the aquarium been established?: about 1 year
Photo( can do this later but Here’s one from a few week ago)

Temperature 78.6 (digital thermometer)
pH: 8.1
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Phosphorus not tested this time.
Copper:0
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?: no

Are any invertebrates affected?: no

Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): only when laying down. Hard to count when clown is swimming

Are the affected fish still feeding?: Not sure, he ate last night, will feed again when home from work.

What remedies have you tried so far?: nothing yet, still diagnosing.

- video uploaded.
I guess - I would continue to observe. Did you QT the fish - or were they QT'd before you got them? Did they ever receive any medication?

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess - I would continue to observe. Did you QT the fish - or were they QT'd before you got them? Did they ever receive any medication?
Thanks, i plan to do this. I have meds on hand. They were not QT’d before being brought in, I am aware of the risks of not QTing. No meds to my knowledge.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish is acting normally, ate voraciously today. Maybe it was a weird hosting thing? Either way he’s looking really healthy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish is acting normally, ate voraciously today. Maybe it was a weird hosting thing? Either way he’s looking really healthy.
Great - sometimes waiting and watching is the best. As everyone has said clowns can be 'odd' - keep watching - and welcome to the site

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back