Is there such thing as too much flow?

Broutilde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have a 25 gallons Nuvo AIO that's 5 months old now. My return pump is the mid-size mightyjet that is working at full power, with two rfgs.
I had two small wavemakers (Koralia) and recently swapped to a small gyre that I keep on lowest setting (Jebao CP-15). There is indeed way more flow in the tank, but now I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore.
There's no sandstorm nor tsunami, but my firefish has been hiding since I did the swap. Most of my zoas are closed, my skunk shrimps look like they are hanging for dear life, my coral plate is small and retracted, my hammer is not puffy anymore, my young clowns were struggling at first but seem to have adapted now.
Should I swap back to the old wavemakers?

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably would. If you have visible decline as a result of flow difference than it is definitely a problem. I wouldn't be super concerned over the fish but if the corals aren't doing so well I would switch them out with the old flow system.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible - I'm not convinced you're there though.

I'd turn down the mighty jet a bit if you're worried about it. As tanks get older and things grow in, typically you need more and more flow. Corals slow down waterflow over them.

OP
OP
Broutilde

Broutilde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible - I'm not convinced you're there though.

I'd turn down the mighty jet a bit if you're worried about it. As tanks get older and things grow in, typically you need more and more flow. Corals slow down waterflow over them.
I honestly don't feel like it's too much when I look at my hammer for example. It's gently swaying in the flow, it's nothing too aggressive. My goniopora has no issue at all with the flow; actually it extended its polyps. I might try to move some corals around like the plate, as I can't move rocks. I really want to keep that gyre as it helped with cyano and also my sps on top like it better...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back