Too much flow? Nit enough?

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a small nuvo 20. Been up and running for several years with decent success with LPS and Softies.

I upgraded a old Jebao pump for an MP10 several months ago and have been wondering if I am blasting my corals too hard. Most seem open, some close up frequently, other more open at the back of a colony vs the front.

I have a single MP10 set at 30% Lagoon. According to Mobius, that's just over 1000g/hr. Now not taking rock into account, that's 50x turnover....taking rock into account, the display is probably only about 14 gallons....so WAY more than 50x.

Corals sway a bit, but not being whipped around by any means. But I also find it hard to believe I max out at like 10% on the MP10 to drop flow into the 300-400g/hr range.

So I was hoping for everyone's thoughts. Is the flow rating in the app as accurate as I'm thinking? Should I just go by how my corals react? Recommend flow for LPS is like 20-30x not 50x+.

Thanks!
20210925_092408.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Recommended" is subject to change with or without notice... I tend to go off 3-5x volume for the return pump and a total of 5-10x for wavemakers. It also depends on things like how fine your substrate is, as you don't want to turn your tank into a snowglobe.

When you're doing calculations just exclude the substrate, rock, etc. Yes, the MP10 really is that powerful. Myself, I would probably be aiming for 10-20% max. Since you have a lot of modes you can program with the MP10, you may want to drop it down at night to 10% and then ramp it back up again to 20% during the day.

Swaying = good. Staggering over (aka: hurricane) = not good.

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have thoughts?
Welcome to the good dang boat I got a MP10 on my Nuvo 20 and I’m wondering the same thing. I’m messing around with flow right now already bleached the tips off my true Acro. I think not gonna lie that the pump to strong and we need to program them. Some of the modes are very intense as one not so much so I think finding the right combo is the key but percentage is crazy. I used to run mine at like 30-35 percent check my build thread u can see where it is in my tank. I lowered it down to around 17 percent and seems to be doing better. Try that

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back