Is There Too Much Going On With My Scape?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just added a bunch more rocks to the back of my already existing scape as I felt like that there was too much negative space and didn't look natural. I'm wondering if there is too much things going on with the scape, please give honest opinions. This tank will eventually have corals. Last picture is an image of the original scape. (tank is 75 gallons)

scape1.jpg scape2.jpg scape3.jpg scape4.jpg scape5.jpg scape6.jpg scape7.jpg (Original scape)

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just a bit much. It may look pleasing now but remember the rocks are like the skeletons. Eventually you'll want the "meat" (corals) to be whats filling up the tanks, esp if you plan on getting branching coral, and big "puffy" lps/softies

My rock was similar to yours when I first started and ended up eventually removing 1/4 of my rock bc I was running out of room for the corals.

Your original does look a bit baren only bc its very "round", lacking the surface area to mount corals. I def like the new one better but I would say go halfway or 2/3 between your original and your current scape.

I like the left side a lot with the tongas and branches. The alcove and the cave are interesting as well. The right side looks a bit too blocky and "pyramidy" for my personal taste. I would consider the below:

1) Maybe make it more "shelves and pillars"
2) I couldn't tell from the pic but it feels like the right side is just a "stacked wall towards the back. " maybe extend some of the rocks forward which will both add depth and create functionally "flow break" zones that will have some of the "low flow" corals you may keep
3) I wouldn't make it that high, you will be limited on what you can put on that top rock in the current height. At those levels, generally it'll be high PAR sps, like acros, and those will very quickly grow out of the water qt those heights.

WurzelWoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quite like it! But as mentioned above long term you'll likely be moving or removing them to account for corals.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, consider a bigger "island" separate from your main structure.. this is where you can put things like a zoa garden, or anything fast spreading things like GSP that can quickly spreead so you don't want them take over yiur entire main structure.

If those corals are not on your list then its less of an issue, but could still be good for aesthetic reasons.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the comments above, isnt the rock what gives you the possibility/place to mount coral? If you remove the base(rock) how would that give you more room for coral? …unless of course you mean on the sand bed.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the comments above, isnt the rock what gives you the possibility/place to mount coral? If you remove the base(rock) how would that give you more room for coral? …unless of course you mean on the sand bed.
With the "NSA" (negative space aquascape) that i think OP was trying to incorporate into his/her scape, you can increase mountable surface for corals and remove the bulky baserock at the same time with the usage of branches, legs, arches, shelves, pillars, etc. This has certain aesthetic that seem to be popular now, but also functionally improve flow in the tank. Ie, see pics below, these all have relatively few base rocks but a ton of mountable surface. First two pics below vs the last one and you'll see what I mean. Different styles for sure, just a matter of personal taste.
download (1).jpeg
download (2).jpeg
feaffe4e_vbattach171512.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do YOU think about your aqauscape? I'm curious. Do your wife and kids like it? Those are really the only opinions that matter. I like both the original and the new pic by the way.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the "NSA" (negative space aquascape) that i think OP was trying to incorporate into his/her scape, you can increase mountable surface for corals and remove the bulky baserock at the same time with the usage of branches, legs, arches, shelves, pillars, etc. This has certain aesthetic that seem to be popular now, but also functionally improve flow in the tank. Ie, see pics below, these all have relatively few base rocks but a ton of mountable surface. First two pics below vs the last one and you'll see what I mean. Different styles for sure, just a matter of personal taste.
download (1).jpeg
download (2).jpeg
feaffe4e_vbattach171512.jpg
Now you sacrifice safe hiding for the fish

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you sacrifice safe hiding for the fish
Once the corals fill up there are plenty spaces to hide, also you can build caves and underpasses which is easier to construct once you have these branching bridge structures in place. Also with "shelf and pillars" structures, the underneath is a natural spot to hide. "A pile of rock" structur, by comparison, has less hiding spots - fish can't hide in a solid block of rock and is limited to only hide in the crevices between the rocks.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people over do it with rock. I used to have the great rock wall of reefing on all my previois tanks.
If you like it go with it.
Just remember that it can grow in fast in 2 years time.
On my current 120 I have only 75lbs of rock.
Many people have a hard time visualizing what their tank will look like when its grown in.
In a fully grown in sps tank you will not see much rock.
Here is mine at start and today for reference. Tanks 26 months old.
20200513_185242.jpg
20210809_140017.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back