Is this a bad idea?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not aesthetically, but from a water chemistry standpoint. I have a bunch of deer antlers and had the crazy idea of placing a small piece in my tank and "seeding" it with zoas or GSP and eventually having an odd acropora looking thing. Does anyone know if antlers would end up doing bad stuff to the water over time? Has anyone actually tried? I can't imagine that they're inert, but if they'll last for years as opposed to months or weeks, and not do any damage along the way I might give it a go.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not aesthetically, but from a water chemistry standpoint. I have a bunch of deer antlers and had the crazy idea of placing a small piece in my tank and "seeding" it with zoas or GSP and eventually having an odd acropora looking thing. Does anyone know if antlers would end up doing bad stuff to the water over time? Has anyone actually tried? I can't imagine that they're inert, but if they'll last for years as opposed to months or weeks, and not do any damage along the way I might give it a go.
I thought I’ve heard all possible questions by now. I was wrong :) .

I have no idea, but good luck. I also “think” it might be OK to try.

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea. Maybe set up a small tank with a piece in it. Add a frag of the planned coral and add a fish. Then monitor.

I can't imagine that these antlers would be detrimental to the tank.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not grow real acros?
Fully intend to do that as well.
I’d bet. it would be ok…. what are antlers anyway mostly? keratin, calcium … dunno but I doubt whatever it is dissolves fast or is toxic
Mostly calcium from what I understand. I do have a little 6 gallon tank gathering dust. I suppose I could set it up and monitor parameters for a while before risking the DT.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully intend to do that as well.

Mostly calcium from what I understand. I do have a little 6 gallon tank gathering dust. I suppose I could set it up and monitor parameters for a while before risking the DT.
You will need an ICP to properly monitor all the possible elements that may leak from the antler. I would drop one in some fresh mixed saltwater and test the water in a week to see if it is taking up all, call, or mag because I don’t think that there is any real concern but if you test that then you will know.

Otherwise, I had a gorilla crab that destroyed a coyote skull that I was trying to encrust and I was wondering how come it fell apart until I drained the tank and found the evil thing.

Antlers are shed every year and they are similar to a toenail in composition. I have never heard anyone mention that a toenail crashed their tank but maybe it’s possible?

Edit- dang I phone, alk, calk Mag…

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need an ICP to properly monitor all the possible elements that may leak from the antler. I would drop one in some fresh mixed saltwater and test the water in a week to see if it is taking up all, call, or mag because I don’t think that there is any real concern but if you test that then you will know.

Otherwise, I had a gorilla crab that destroyed a coyote skull that I was trying to encrust and I was wondering how come it fell apart until I drained the tank and found the evil thing.

Antlers are shed every year and they are similar to a toenail in composition. I have never heard anyone mention that a toenail crashed their tank but maybe it’s possible?

Edit- dang I phone, alk, calk Mag…

I thought the same thing; that it wouldn't be any worse then dropping a bag of toenails in the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'm comfortable with them having found copper, lead and cadmium in the antlers.
Copper and lead can be removed by picking out the buckshot, but the cadmium may require a polyfilter?

Drop one in a bucket and do an ICP test after a week and see if it even shows up.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing what you can find on the web:
1706555637804.png

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used an old set of antlers in a shop tank when I was a kid, they were probably in there for 15 years and never caused any issues. When we took them out they were a slight shade of green instead of white, but they were as solid as the day we put them in there.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used an old set of antlers in a shop tank when I was a kid, they were probably in there for 15 years and never caused any issues. When we took them out they were a slight shade of green instead of white, but they were as solid as the day we put them in there.
That’s encouraging.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind trying this with some encrusting type corals.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard part will be after growing the corals getting them back on the deer and getting the deer to stay underwater.

You could do a shaving and grind into powder. Then go run test after a couple weeks. Should give a better idea. I would do this inner of the base.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back