Is this a common bristle worm?

Thalasstronaut

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2023
Messages
164
Reaction score
147
Location
New England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See attached photos.

Only happened to see this guy because he was burrowing up near the glass. Small, about the girth of a thin earthworm, maybe. Doesn’t have the flat coloration of bristle worms I’ve seen photos of. More of a slightly “holographic” pink. From certain angles he seems almost shimmery.

Couldn’t get a good look at mouth parts, but he definitely seemed to be moving something near his top end as he moved to the surface. Didn’t look like sharp mandibles like a bobbit but definitely distinct mouth parts.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0182.jpeg


IMG_0188.jpeg
 
See attached photos.

Only happened to see this guy because he was burrowing up near the glass. Small, about the girth of a thin earthworm, maybe. Doesn’t have the flat coloration of bristle worms I’ve seen photos of. More of a slightly “holographic” pink. From certain angles he seems almost shimmery.

Couldn’t get a good look at mouth parts, but he definitely seemed to be moving something near his top end as he moved to the surface. Didn’t look like sharp mandibles like a bobbit but definitely distinct mouth parts.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0182.jpeg


IMG_0188.jpeg
Not enough to see in order for me to id. Can you pull it out with tweezers and place it in a container and take a picture?
 
TBH I have so many I never really paid much attention details. Here's a larger one that might help with an ID?

20230803_185753.jpg
Unsure if impressed...or disgusted that your holding it in your hands 😁
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new